Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight
Dayton, Ohio - Pabel Manzanero's two-run double broke a 1-1 tie and reliever Connor Bennett pitched out of a ninth inning jam as the Dayton Dragons edged the Fort Wayne TinCaps 3-2 on Monday night. A crowd of 7,802 saw the Dragons earn their eight straight victory and complete a sweep of the four-game series with Fort Wayne.
The Dragons took a 3-2 lead to the ninth inning with reliever Adrian Rodriguez on the mound. Fort Wayne's Luis Roman opened the inning with a high chopper to shortstop and beat the throw for an infield single to put the tying run on base. Rodriguez struck out Kelvin Melean swinging on a pitch in the dirt for the first out, but pinch runner Aldemar Burgos advanced to second on the play on a wild pitch. Connor Bennett replaced Rodriguez and struck out Jawuan Harris looking for the second out. With the crowd at Fifth Third Field roaring, Bennett got Tucupita Marcano to ground out to second baseman Randy Ventura to end the game. Bennett was credited with his seventh save.
The Dragons eight-game winning streak is their longest since they won nine straight games, April 9-20, 2018.
Fort Wayne scored one run in the top of the fifth inning before the Dragons responded with three in the sixth to take the lead. The Dayton rally began with a lead-off single by Ventura, who went to second base on a wild pick-off attempt. Michael Siani singled off the glove of the second baseman to bring in Ventura and tie the game. Siani stole second and went to third on an error on the same play. Miles Gordon then hit a bouncer to second base as Siani tried to score. Fort Wayne's Tucupita Marcano threw home as Siani came in with a head first slide, touching home plate with his outstretched hand. Siani was called out, prompting an angry response from Dragons manager Luis Bolivar, and a loud chorus of boos from the crowd at Fifth Third Field. Gordon was safe at first on the fielder's choice. Brian Rey followed with a single to left field to advance Gordon to second, and Pabel Manzanero ripped a double to the gap in right-center to drive in both Gordon and Rey to give the Dragons a 3-1 lead. Fort Wayne's Michael Curry hit a long home run in the eighth off Rodriguez to pull the TinCaps to within a run at 3-2.
Dragons starting pitcher Jared Solomon was removed from the game after two scoreless innings due to shoulder discomfort. He was replaced by Alexis Diaz, who tossed three innings, allowing one run on one hit with two walks and four strikeouts. Moises Nova (1-1) replaced Diaz to start the sixth and fired two strong, scoreless innings, striking out five without allowing a hit to qualify for the win. He walked one batter. Rodriguez entered the game to start the eighth inning and last one and one-third innings, allowing one run on two hits with two strikeouts.
The Dragons finished the night with eight hits. Siani was 2 for 4 with a run batted in. He stole his 19th base of the season and his ninth in the month of June. Ventura also had two hits and extended his hitting streak to six straight games. Gordon was 0 for 4 to snap his seven-game hitting streak.
Notes: The Dragons have stolen 18 bases in their last seven games. Siani and Gordon are a combined 15 for 15 in the month of June...Dragons pitchers combined to strike out 15 batters...Bennett has earned a win or save in each of his last five appearances.
Up Next: The Dragons (25-39) remain home at Fifth Third Field to open a new three-game series against the West Michigan Whitecaps (20-44) on Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. Jhon De Jesus (1-5, 5.24) will start for the Dragons against Robbie Welhaf (2-1, 1.33). The series will continue through Thursday. West Michigan will start the set with a six-game losing streak.
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2.
All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.