Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Richard A. Nussbaum II, President of the Midwest League of Professional Baseball Clubs, Inc., is pleased to announce the 2019 All-Star Home Run Derby Participants. The event, presented by Four Winds Casino, will be held on Monday, June 17, and begin at approximately 7:35 p.m. The showcase will feature eight sluggers from the Midwest League All-Star teams.
Eastern Division Participants
Jake Brodt - Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays)
Niko Hulsizer - Great Lakes Loons (LA Dodgers)
Chris Betts - Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays)
Jonathan Sierra - South Bend Cubs (Chicago Cubs)
Western Division Participants
Nolan Gorman - Peoria Chiefs (St. Louis Cardinals)
Chris Williams - Cedar Rapids Kernels (Minnesota Twins)
Jerar Encarnacion - Clinton LumberKings (Miami Marlins)
Alek Thomas - Kane County Cougars (Arizona Diamondbacks)
"This year's lineup of Midwest League power hitters will give our fans a great cross section of talent from 8 of our clubs," Nussbaum said. "Thanks to each of our Major League affiliates for sharing their outstanding players for an evening they will never forget nor will we. Thanks also to Andrew Berlin, Joe Hart and Nick Brown and the entire South Bend staff for organizing such a terrific event."
Hulsizer, 22, currently ranks 2nd in the MWL with 13 home runs this season. He's also no stranger to the home run derby format after winning the 2017 College Home Run Derby as a sophomore at Morehead State. That night at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb., Hulsizer crushed 52 home runs en route to the title.
The champion in South Bend will receive $1,000 and the runner-up will receive $500.
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
Images from this story
Niko Hulsizer of the Great Lakes Loons
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Dodgers Minor League Affiliate Plans to Include Loons
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled