Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win
BURLINGTON, IA - Will Banfield and Connor Scott each homered for the Clinton LumberKings in a 4-2 win over the Burlington Bees on Monday night at Community Field. The pair of home runs were the decisive blows in a LumberKings (31-32) win that closed out a five-game series with the Bees (36-28).
Jake Walters started for Clinton and was sharp over a four-inning outing. He surrendered the game's first run in the bottom of the second and no more. Harrison Wenson staked Burlington to an early lead with a solo home run to left that went for his sixth home run of the year.
Walters did not allow another run and ended his night with eight strikeouts while surrendering four hits and walking one. He was given a no decision for his work.
Clinton had little to show for their night against Bees starter Cole Duensing through the first five innings. In the top of the sixth, the LumberKings broke out for three runs to take a lead they would not relinquish.
Marcos Rivera started the rally with a double and scored when the next batter, Zach Scott, singled through the right side of the infield. Two batters later, Banfield crushed a two-run home run to left that went for his sixth of the year.
The Bees pulled to within one run in the bottom of the sixth when Tanner Andrews allowed his only run of the night.
In the top of the ninth, Connor Scott reclaimed the LumberKings two run lead with his fourth home run of the year - a solo blast that hit off the scoreboard in right.
Andrews (2-2) worked around trouble in the bottom of the ninth to earn the win. After allowing a pair of singles to open the inning he threw a wild pitch to put runners at second and third before striking out the next three batters to end the game.
Andrews worked five innings for Clinton and allowed one unearned run on six hits while walking one and striking out five.
The LumberKings will now head home to open up a three-game homestand with the Peoria Chiefs on Tuesday night. Clinton will throw righty Humberto Mejia (5-0, 2.07) while Peoria will tap righty Kyle Leahy (3-3, 3.40). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Tuesdays are "Two Dollar Tuesdays" in Clinton with $2 tickets, $2 box seat upgrades, $2 select beers, $2 hot dogs, and $2 ice cream.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th