Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton
Appleton, WI - Apparently getting away from Pohlman Field was just what they needed. The Snappers defeated the Timber Rattlers 4-1 on Monday afternoon, taking four out of five in Appleton for their second consecutive road series win.
Following a pitchers' duel between Beloit starter and Midwest League All-Star Aiden McIntyre (2-4, 2.42 ERA) and Wisconsin lefty Scott Sunitsch (4-6, 3.68 ERA), the Snappers broke out for four runs between the sixth and seventh innings to put away the Rattlers. After a rough start that included three first-inning, bases-loaded walks his last time out, McIntyre looked much more like an All-Star on Monday. The right-hander fired five shutout innings against Wisconsin, allowing just three hits while walking two and striking out six. Sunitsch was just as dominant through five innings, but the Snappers broke through in the sixth.
Cobie Vance reached on an error to start the inning and advanced to third on a Ryan Gridley single. A passed ball by Timber Rattlers catcher Kekai Rios then put Beloit up 1-0.
The Snappers piled on in the seventh. After Lester Madden and JJ Schwarz reached with one out, Devin Foyle 's RBI double extended Beloit's lead to 2-0. Joseph PeÃ±a added on with a two- run single later in the inning. The Rattlers attempted to rally against reliever Michael Danielak in the ninth, as Leugim Castillo put Wisconsin on the board with an RBI single. Eric MariÃ±ez put out the fire, though, recording his Midwest League-leading ninth save of the season. The Timber Rattlers outhit Beloit eight to six on Monday, but the Snappers got their hits when they needed them. Schwarz went 2-for-4 while Foyle extended his hitting streak to a modest four games. The Snappers return to Pohlman Field tomorrow for a three-game set with Quad Cities, and will hope to improve upon their Midwest League-worst 9-20 home record before the first half concludes.
Chase Cohen (4-5, 6.55 ERA) goes for Beloit while the River Bandits counter with Jose Rivera (1-3, 9.45 ERA).
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362- 2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.