Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss
EASTLAKE, OH - Midwest League Player of the Week Hagen Danner homered and delivered an RBI single, but the Lansing Lugnuts (28-34) lost to the Lake County Captains (37-26), 10-4, on Monday night at Classic Park.
The Lugnuts split the four-game series with the Captains, and now have a record of 4-3 on their 11-game, 10-day, three-city road trip.
Danner became the first Lugnut honored by the Midwest League with a weekly award after going 6-for-16 with two walks, a triple, three homers and seven runs batted in during the week of June 3-9.
He celebrated by staying hot at the plate, flaring a run-scoring single to right in a three-run Lugnuts second inning, and then struck again leading off the seventh, blasting an opposite-field drive to right field to tie Jake Brodt for the team lead with his eighth home run.
Ruben Cardenas singled, tripled and hit a three-run homer for the Captains, who scored two runs in the first inning and five in the second against Lansing starter Troy Watson (Loss, 1-1).
Watson was followed to the mound by relievers Josh Hiatt and Mike Pascoe who plunked three batters apiece, tying the Midwest League single-game record with six combined HBPs by one team. The record had been set by the Peoria Chiefs' pitchers against, coincidentally, the Lugnuts at Cooley Law School Stadium on May 3, 2017.
Captains starter Cody Morris (Win, 4-2) allowed three runs on seven hits in five innings, striking out five.
In the loss, Nick Podkul, Ryan Gold and Reggie Pruitt each joined Danner in collecting two hits.
The Nuts next travel onward to South Bend, opening up a four-game, three series with the Cubs at Four Winds Field, including a doubleheader on Wednesday.
Lansing returns to Michigan's state capital for a three-game series against the Bowling Green Hot Rods from June 14-16, including Star Wars Night with post-game LAFCU Fireworks on Saturday, July 15th. To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets to Sunday or throughout the 2019 season, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.