Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep
Bowling Green, KY - Roberto Alvarez had three hit including a homer and Caleb Sampen threw 7.0 shutout innings as the Bowling Green Hot Rods secured a four-game sweep of the West Michigan Whitecaps with a 4-0 win on Monday afternoon. The Hot Rods are back in action Tuesday night as they welcome in the Fort Wayne TinCaps into Bowling Green Ballpark for a series opener that has a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
After two scoreless innings, Bowling Green struck first in the third. With one out, Alvarez singled, then moved to third when Osmy Gregorio doubled off the right-field wall. Michael Smith followed with a two-run single up the middle. After Smith was caught stealing, Wander Franco singled to right, then scored when Kaleo Johnson doubled down the left-field line, giving the Hot Rods a 3-0 lead.
With the lead in hand, Sampen took care of the Whitecaps on the mound. The right-hander ran into trouble in the fifth, allowing a walk and a single to begin the inning. However, he picked up a strike out and two groundouts to first to keep West Michigan off the board. Sampen set down the final nine batters he faced, finishing 7.0 shutout innings.
In the home half of the seventh, Alvarez added to his strong day. With one out, he lined a 2-1 pitch over the right-field wall. His third home run of the season extended the Hot Rods lead to 4-0. From there, Nick Sprengel emerged from the bullpen and retired all six hitters he faced to nail the down the victory and the series sweep.
Sampen (5-4) went 7.0 shutout innings, allowing four hits, while walking one and striking out four. Sprengel threw the final two frames, striking out one without allowing a baserunner.
Notes: Franco has a 16-game on-base streak...Alvarez collected his 16th multi-hit game and his third game with three or more hits...He homered for the first time since April 17 vs. Lake County...He also stole his first base since July 4, 2018, while laying for Princeton...Smith had multiple RBI for the fifth time...Sampen's 7.0 innings tied a career high, done three times this season...He also earned his seventh quality start, the most on the roster...The Hot Rods earned their second series sweep of the season (also May 24-27 vs. Dayton, also four games)...Bowling Green earned their fourth shutout of the season...BG improved to 30-6 when outhitting their opponents... They also are 25-11 when scoring first...Bowling Green is 15-3 in day games...The Hot Rods are 32-17 against right-handed starters...BG is 22-10 at home...Bowling Green is 12-5-2 in series this season...The Hot Rods will open a three-game series against Fort Wayne on Tuesday night, with the first pitch at 6:35 p.m....RHP Miller Hogan (0-0, 1.62) will start for Bowling Green, while Fort Wayne's starter is still to be announced...It will be a Tailwaggin' Tuesday, giving fans the chance to bring their dogs to the ballpark...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods Release 2020 Home Game Times
- Hot Rods Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Hot Rods and Legends Announce 2020 Exhibition in Lexington, KY
- Hot Rods Announce Second-Annual Charity Dinner and Silent Auction
- Hot Rods to Join Copa de la Diversion as Bolidos