Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3
Midland, MI: The South Bend Cubs first half playoff chances took a hit on Monday night after dropping the series finale against the Great Lakes Loons by a final of 8-3 with the Loons completing the sweep. In the four game series, the Loons scored at least eight runs in each of the four nights with their offense coming to life.
South Bend broke through in the top of the 1st inning for their first lead of the series when Jonathan Sierra poked a ball up the middle for an infield single. Scoring from third base was Andy Weber, who picked up South Bend's first hit earlier in the inning.
After two shutout innings to start, Peyton Remy ran into trouble in the bottom of the 3rd when the Loons walked four times against the right-hander. On a two run double, Dan Robinson delivered the dagger of the inning and made it a 4-1 Great Lakes lead.
After Remy departed, Brendan King made his second appearance in the Midwest League this season with 2.1 innings of two run baseball.
With a 5-1 Loons lead at the time, South Bend mounted a rally after not getting much off of opposing starter Jose Martinez. Martinez struck out six batters and allowed just a run through five innings of work. The first reliever Justin Bruihl allowed four consecutive South Bend hits, including two RBI knocks from from Jonathan Sierra and Chris Morel to make it 5-3.
With the tying run at first base in Cole Roederer, Zach Willeman entered the game to pitch for the Loons and struck out Rafelin Lorenzo with a chance for the Cubs to tie it. Willeman would strike out seven total Cubs.
With the loss, South Bend falls to 33-28 and will head home to begin a four-game series against the Lansing Lugnuts. First pitch from Four Winds Field tomorrow night is set for 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Cubs Host Second VIP Football Watch Party November 7
- FAQ: Stu & Swoop's Cops and Goblins on October 26
- Cops & Goblins Tickets Available at Cubs Den Saturday
- South Bend Cubs Host VIP Football Watch Party October 10
- Video Board Message Donations Return for Breast Cancer Awareness MonthÃÂ