TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (28-33, T-5th East) @ Dayton Dragons (24-39, 7th East)
RHP Gabe Mosser vs. RHP Jared Solomon
Monday, June 10 - Fifth Third Field (Dayton, Ohio) - First Pitch 7 PM (Game 62 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
SUNDAY AFTERNOON: The TinCaps raced out to a 4-0 lead in the fifth inning, but the Dragons rallied back and won 5-4 via a walk-off hit in the bottom of the ninth inning. Efraín Contreras tossed another dazzling start for Fort Wayne, tossing six innings of one-run ball with eight strikeouts.
X IS A FACTOR: Infielder Xavier Edwards leads the MWL in batting average (.341), ranks 4th in OBP (.395), and is tied for 8th in stolen bases (14). He has the lowest swinging strike % in the league, as he's swung and missed at only 3.6% of the pitches he's seen. His K% of 11.1% is the 5th lowest in the league. With 21 walks to 27 strikeouts, Edwards' 0.78 BB/K ratio is the 10th best in the MWL. Xavier has made a living hitting the ball the opposite way (47% of the time he's put the ball in play, highest rate in the MWL) and swinging early in the count; he's posted a BA of .532 this season on the first pitch of an at bat, and 25 of his league-leading 74 hits (34%) have come while swinging in an 0-0 count.
MAKING HIS MARK: After missing 2 weeks with a sprained left thumb, infielder Tucupita Marcano returned from the Injured List on Saturday.Tucu made his presence felt on Sunday, slapping a line-drive RBI double the opposite way to left field. Marcano's .294 batting average ranks 13th in the MWL and second among qualifying TinCaps. Noted for his ability to make contact, Marcano has swung and missed at only 4.7% of the pitches he's seen this season-4th lowest SwStr% in the league-and struck out in just 10.7% of his plate appearances-4th lowest K% in the circuit.
HOT CURRY: Michael Curry started his season 2-for-22 (.091), but since May 26, in 14 games, Curry has slashed .357/.440/.500 (.940 OPS) with 6 doubles and 8 RBIs. In this series alone, the former Georgia Bulldog is batting .455 (5-for-13).
HOMECOMING: Infielder Lee Solomon is from Columbus, about an hour and 10 minutes to the east of Dayton. The native Ohioan rewarded his family members in attendance with an RBI double in Sunday afternoon's game.
TURNAROUND: Catcher Juan Fernandez began the season 0-for-18, but is 25-for-72 (.347) since.
WALK & RUN: Outfielder Jawuan Harris has walked in 17.5% of his plate appearances this season, the 3rd highest BB% in the MWL. Harris is also 5th in the league in stolen bases (15).
WALKING WOUNDED: The TinCaps have 3 regulars on the Injured List in outfielders Grant Little and Dwanya Williams-Sutton, and infielder Luis Almanzar. Previously this year infielders Justin Lopez and Tucupita Marcano, plus pitcher Ryan Weathers have also spent time on the IL.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have the best ratio of strikeouts to walks in the MWL this season (2.95). 'Caps pitchers have also walked the fewest batters in the MWL, averaging only 3.1 per 9 innings.
PARKVIEW FIELD IS THE BEST: Parkview Field won the Best of the Ballparks Low-A fan vote through Ballpark Digest on Sunday, becoming the first ballpark to win the fan-voted honor three separate times. The home of the TinCaps beat out the home of the South Atlantic League's Augusta GreenJackets, SRP Park, as the top minor league ballpark at the Low-A level.
ALL-STARS: The Midwest League announced the rosters for June 18's All-Star Game on Wednesday. The TinCaps will be represented by infielder Xavier Edwards, who will start at second base, plus starting pitcher Ryan Weathers and reliever Henry Henry.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Virtual Beer Tasting on Tap
- Weathers 1 of 23 Fort Wayne Alums in MLB Postseason
- TinCaps to Host a Second Movie Night (The Sandlot) Presented by Lancia Homes
- 260 to the Show Report: 46 Former Fort Wayne Players in Big Leagues in 2020
- Johnny TinCap Joins Fight against Breast Cancer, Teams with Rival