Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss
Davenport, IA - The Kane County Cougars used six runs in the top of the fifth inning to beat the Quad Cities River Bandits 9-3 in the final game of a four-game series at Modern Woodmen Park on Monday night. Despite the loss, the River Bandits magic number to win the Western Division was reduced to one with Burlington's loss to Clinton.
The River Bandits (39-21) entered the fifth inning with a 2-1 lead. Starting pitcher Matt Ruppenthal issued a walk to the first two hitters in the inning allowing KeShawn Lynch to bunt both runners into scoring position. Alek Thomas then gave Kane County the lead by beating the shift with an opposite field single to left. The lead grew to 4-2 with an ensuing RBI single off the bat of Zack Shannon against reliever Devin Conn. A hit batter and a walk loaded the bases for Eddie Hernandez who cleared them with a triple into the right field corner. After ten batters came to the plate, the Cougars had built a 7-2 advantage.
Quad Cities initially grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first inning on Freudis Nova's single into left field only to watch Blaze Alexander's solo home run tie the game in the top of the second. The Bandits final lead in the contest was 2-1 after Ruben Castro scored Ross Adolph with a sacrifice fly in the third. The catcher also drove in the Bandits final run of the game on another sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fifth.
Kane County (32-31) pushed across a couple of insurance runs to finish off the scoring in the ninth against Bandits reliever Hunter Martin. The inning began with a walk to Thomas who raced around to score on a missed catch error by David Hensley at first two at bats later. Before the frame ended, Joe Gillette drove in the final run with an RBI single to make it 9-3.
Alexander led all hitters with his 3-4 performance that included a home run and three runs scored. Shannon added a pair of hits for the Cougars. The Bandits received two hits from both Adolph and Wilyer Abreu.
Three River Bandits pitchers combined to strike out 14 hitters. Ruppenthal took the loss after surrendering four runs on three hits in 4.1 innings of work.
The River Bandits begin their final road series of the first half on Tuesday night in Beloit. First pitch is slated for 6:10 p.m. The River Bandits will have RHP Jose Rivera (1-3, 9.45) on the mound for the first game in a battle with Beloit RHP Chase Cohen (4-5, 6.55).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.