'Caps Lose Seventh Straight
BOWLING GREEN, KY - The West Michigan Whitecaps continue to search for answers after being swept for the second time in the past week as part of a 4-0 loss to the Bowling Green Hot Rods Monday at Bowling Green Ballpark.
The sweep sends West Michigan to their second losing streak of seven or more games this season and places them one loss away from tying a season-long skid of eight that occurred from May 22-29. It also clinches the highest West Michigan loss total for one-half of play in franchise history with 44 defeats in 2019.
Whitecaps starting pitcher Chance Kirby retired the first seven batters he faced but ran into trouble in the third as Michael Smith bounced a two-run single through a drawn-in infield to give the Hot Rods a 2-0 lead. Kaleo Johnson's double plated Wander Franco from first base later in the frame to extend the lead to 3-0. In the seventh, Roberto Alvarez capped a three-hit day with his third home run of the year on a line drive over the right-field wall to push the Bowling Green lead to 4-0. Meanwhile, the Whitecaps offense failed to support Kirby, tallying just four hits in being shut out for the fifth time in their last 18 games.
Kirby (1-3) posted a quality start in tossing six innings and allowing three runs while striking out six in suffering his third loss on the mound, while Bowling Green pitcher Caleb Sampen (4-3) tossed seven shutout frames and struck out four in earning his fourth win of 2019. The loss drops the Whitecaps record to 20-44 while Bowling Green improves to 38-26. West Michigan shortstop Wenceel Perez managed the only multi-hit performance of the ballgame by going 2-for-4 with a double in a losing cause. The Whitecaps have managed just 126 extra-base hits this season - the second-lowest total in the Midwest League.
The Whitecaps head north to open a three-game series against the Dayton Dragons beginning Tuesday at 7:05 pm. Pitcher Adam Wolf gets the start for West Michigan against Dayton pitcher Jhon De Jesus. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:55 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.