Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss
GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Beloit Snappers beat the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 4-1 on Monday afternoon at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. The Snappers broke a scoreless tie with an unearned run in the top of the sixth and added three more runs in the seventh as the Rattlers missed a lot of opportunities in the contest.
Wisconsin (29-34) had the better scoring opportunities early in the game, but Snappers starter Aiden McIntyre kept the Rattlers scoreless. LG Castillo singled and Brice Turang walked with two outs in the third, but both were stranded. David Fry started the fourth inning with a double and was at third base with one out, but he was still at third when the inning ended. In the fifth, Castillo reached on an error and Turang walked with two outs. A wild pitch moved both runners into scoring position, but McIntyre escaped the inning once again without allowing a run.
McIntyre struck out six over five scoreless innings.
Beloit (25-37) scored the unearned run in the top of the sixth inning. Cobie Vance reached on an error, took second on a sacrifice bunt, and went to third on a single by Ryan Gridley. Vance scored on a two-out passed ball to give the Snappers a 1-0 lead..
Wisconsin starting pitcher Scott Sunitsch went back out for the top of the seventh inning and got the first out before giving up a single to JJ Schwarz. The left-hander as removed from the game after that hit, which came on the 90th pitch of the game for Sunitsch.
Reliever Peter Strzelecki took over from the Wisconsin bullpen and walked the first batter he faced. Then, Devin Foyle ripped a double to right to score Schwarz. Later in the inning, Joseph Pena blooped a two-out single to left to drive in two more runs and the Snappers were up 4-0.
Sunitsch allowed two runs - one earned - on three hits with a walk and six strikeouts over his 6-1/3 innings pitched, but was on the hook for the loss.
Turang and Jesús Lujano reached on a walk and a single to start the bottom of the eighth against reliever Michael Danielak, but both were left stranded.
The Rattlers got the tying run to the plate in the bottom of the ninth inning. Danielak got the first out of the inning, but gave up three straight singles to Je'Von Ward, Kekai Rios, and Castillo.
Castillo's single scored Ward and moved Rios around to third base and brought the tying run to the plate.
Beloit called on Eric Mariñez, their All-Star closer, to get the final two outs and he retired Turang and Lujano to finish the game for his ninth save of the season.
The Rattlers stranded ten runners and were 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position in the game. The loss was the third straight for Wisconsin.
The Timber Rattlers begin a six-game road trip on Monday with a game against the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Perfect Game Field. Logan Gillaspie (1-2, 4.02) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Cedar Rapids has named Austin Schulfer (4-3, 4.02) as their starter. Game time is 6:35pm. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:15pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
BEL 000 001 300 - 4 6 1
WIS 000 000 001 - 1 8 1
Click here for Monday's Boxscore
WP: Aiden McIntyre (2-4)
LP: Scotty Sunitsch (4-6)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Dock Spiders Announce Full 2020 Schedule
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale