Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids
Peoria, IL - After splitting the doubleheader Sunday, the Peoria Chiefs fell to the Cedar Rapids Kernels 10-1 in their series finale Monday. The Chiefs fall to 27-36 on the season as they hit the road to take on the Clinton LumberKings Tuesday at 6:35 p.m.
The Chiefs opened the scoring in the bottom of the second against Kernels starter Kai-Wei Teng. Ivan Herrera singled and advanced to third on a single by Brady Whalen and an error by Cedar Rapids shortstop Ricky De La Torre. Juan Yepez reached on a fielder's choice and Herrera scored for the 1-0 lead.
Cedar Rapids took their first lead of the game in the top of the fourth against Chiefs starter Michael Brettell. A wild pitch with the bases loaded tied the game at one before Jared Akins hit a three-run homerun with two outs for the 4-1 lead.
The Kernels added insurance runs in the top of the fourth. Jacob Pearson and De La Torre hit back-to-back homeruns for a 7-1 lead. Cedar Rapids scored two in the seventh and one in the eighth for a 10-1 lead.
Brettell (2-3) took the loss pitching 3 2/3 allowing seven runs, three earned on seven hits with one walk and five strikeouts. Parker Kelly pitched 2 1/3 shutout innings allowing two hits with two strikeouts. Thomas St. Clair pitched two innings allowing three runs on five hits with one walk. Edgar Escobar pitched the final inning allowing only one walk and striking out two.
The Chiefs hit the road for a three-game series with the Clinton LumberKings Tuesday at 6:35 p.m. Peoria will start RH Kyle Leahy (3-4, 3.40) against Clinton RH Humberto Mejia (5-0, 2.07). The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:20 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.