Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout
PEORIA, ILL. - In a Monday matinee at Dozer Park, the Cedar Rapids Kernels tallied a season-high 10 extra-base hits including a season-high-tying three home runs in a 10-1 triumph over the Peoria Chiefs. Kai-Wei Teng earned the victory with his first professional quality start as Cedar Rapids (34-30) won the series, 4-1, and posted a 9-5 record in a 14-game road swing.
The Chiefs (27-36) took an early 1-0 lead on Juan Yepez's RBI force out in the second inning, but the Kernels surged in front during a four-run third inning. Ricky De La Torre scored the game-tying run on a wild pitch to Wander Javier. Jared Akins batted next and crushed a go-ahead home run to right field that put Cedar Rapids ahead, 4-1.
Cedar Rapids would score 10 unanswered runs within its 10-1 victory. The Kernels hit back-to-back home runs in the fourth inning with De La Torre's solo shot following a two-run blast by Jacob Pearson. Andrew Bechtold delivered an RBI double in the seventh and scored on a single by De La Torre. Yeltsin Encarnacion led off the eighth inning with a triple before coming home via wild pitch.
Teng (1-0) notched a game-high eight strikeouts over a personal-best six innings pitched for a quality start and a win. He struck out four batters in a row while collecting nine consecutive outs to finish his appearance. Teng also became the 16th different Kernels pitcher to receive credit for a victory this season.
Jose Martinez and J.T. Perez combined for three frames of scoreless and hitless relief to close the contest. Martinez pitched a perfect seventh inning to extend his shutout streak to 13.1 innings. Perez allowed two walks but no other damage in his Midwest League debut at the end of the game.
Michael Brettell (2-3) gave up seven runs including four unearned runs over 3.2 innings pitched in a loss. He is now 0-2 in two starts against the Kernels with 15 runs allowed in five innings pitched.
Up next, Cedar Rapids will host a six-game homestand to close the first half of the season. Tuesday's series opener between the Kernels and the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers is set for 6:35 p.m. CT with Cedar Rapids right-hander Austin Schulfer (4-3, 3.02) expected to start against Wisconsin right-hander Logan Gillaspie (1-2, 4.02). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
Great Clips Twins Tuesday features a 2-for-1 ticket offer available via the Kernels email newsletter and Facebook page. Cedar Rapids will wear special Twins-themed jerseys that will be auctioned off later this season, and one lucky fan at Tuesday's tilt will win a pair of tickets to a Minnesota Twins game.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks