Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3
West Sacramento, CA. - Mike Yastrzemski lead off the game with another home run, continuing his torrid pace in the month of May. The Sacramento River Cats (18-20), however, fell 5-3 to the El Paso Chihuahuas (26-12) in the penultimate game of this 12-game homestand.
The top of the River Cats order was productive in this one, as the top four batters combined for six of the eight hits and scored all three runs. Mike Yastrzemski and Anthony Garcia led the offense with two hits apiece, with Yastrzemski hitting his eighth home run in May to lead off the first inning. He now has 11 this season to lead the River Cats.
Lefty Andrew Suarez was knocked around a bit on Monday night in his second start since coming off the injured list. He allowed five runs on nine hits, including Luis Urias's third home run of the series. The bullpen followed Suarez with 3.2 scoreless innings to lower the group's earned run average to 3.99 this season. Sam Coonrod and Steven Okert each recorded a 1-2-3 inning.
Right-hander Shaun Anderson (2-1, 4.11) and the River Cats will look to split the series with El Paso in the final game of the homestand. The Chihuahuas will send left-hander Jerry Keel (4-0, 4.11) to the mound. First pitch is set for 12:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- The Sacramento pitching staff had been held hitless at the plate coming in to the game, and began the season 0-for-29. However, Monday's starter Andrew Suarez broke that streak with an infield hit in the second inning.
- The River Cats played a clean game defensively, committing no errors and turning a double play in the second inning. Oddly enough, however, Sacramento is 5-7 when they do not commit an error compared to 13-13 when they have at least one miscue.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win
- River Cats bullpen bounces back in 4-3 comeback win
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators
- Nine-run River Cats lead does not hold up in rough loss to Aviators
- Offense crushes six home runs in loss to Cubs