Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
May 14, 2019 - Pacific Coast League (PCL)
Last week the XFL announced television deals with ESPN and FOX Sports, the XFL Los Angeles team named Winston Moss their head coach and general manager, and veteran CFL quarterback Ricky Ray, who played 16 seasons in the league retired. Highlights from this week are from the Arena Football League, Major League Soccer, National Women's Soccer League, Pacific Coast League, American Hockey League and Ontario Hockey League.
The XFL announced multi-year agreements with ESPN and FOX Sports to televise XFL games starting with its inaugural 2020 season. XFL games will air weekly on broadcast TV (ABC and FOX) complemented by games on cable (ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 and FS2). The XFL TV schedule allows for consistent appointment viewing each week with back-to-back games starting Saturday afternoons at 2 pm ET as well as two additional games on Sunday afternoons.
The XFL announced that Winston Moss, most recently the associate head coach for the Green Bay Packers, and former NFL linebacker for the Seattle Seahawks, Los Angeles Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, has been named head coach and general manager of the XFL team in Los Angeles.
Canadian Football League
The Toronto Argonauts announced that veteran quarterback Ricky Ray is retiring from the Canadian Football League. Ray, 39, has played 235 regular-season games in 16 CFL seasons, including 79 games with the Argonauts between 2012-2018. He had previously played in 156 games with the Edmonton Eskimos between 2002-2011. He retires as the all-time leader in all major passing categories for both teams, the only player to hold this distinction.
Arena Football League
Washington Valor raise their ArenaBowl XXXI championship banner at Capital One Arena.
Champions Indoor Football
The CIF announced it has terminated the Frisco-based Texas Revolution for failing to meet league standards. The team was a charter member of the CIF for the league's inaugural 2015 season.
American Arena League
The Georgia Doom with a 1-3 record has suspended operations for the remainder of the 2019 season. The team is located in Macon.
Major League Soccer
FC Cincinnati have relieved Alan Koch of his duties as the club's head coach. While an international search has begun for the club's next head coach, assistant coach Yoann Damet will serve in the role of interim head coach. Damet, 29, joined FC Cincinnati in March 2017 from the Montreal Impact organization, and has served as the team's top assistant coach since.
A bizarre incident in Major League Soccer (MLS) involving Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Sean Johnson.
The result? A yellow card each.
What a moment. Paul Arriola nets D.C. United's game-winner on Mother's Day, then celebrates by "calling" his late father who passed away last year
National Women's Soccer League
Mom Goals for Mother's Day Weekend in the NWSL.
Chicago Red Stars forward Sam Kerr scores two goals and does a backflip after the second one against the North Carolina Courage.
Pacific Coast League
You want web gems? The Round Rock Express & Oklahoma City Dodgers delivered.
NBA G League
The NBA G League announced that 40 NBA Draft hopefuls and 40 of the NBA G League's top prospects from the 2018-19 season are expected to attend the 2019 NBA G League Elite Camp, which will take place May 12-14 at Quest Multisport in Chicago.
The Atlanta Hawks have announced that GRAMMY Award-winning recording artist Tauheed "2 Chainz" Epps has agreed to join the ownership team of the Hawks' new NBA G League affiliate, the College Park Skyhawks.
American Hockey League
Chicago Wolves left wing Curtis McKenzie scores a hat trick against the Iowa Wolves:
The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, announced the team has agreed to a contract extension with Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Kirk MacDonald.
Ontario Hockey League
Relive the final moments of Sunday's Guelph Storm OHL Championship celebrations. They defeated Ottawa 67's 8-3 in game six of the OHL Finals.
The Ontario Hockey League announced that Buffalo Sabres prospect Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen of the Sudbury Wolves is the 2018-19 recipient of the Red Tilson Trophy awarded to the OHL's Most Outstanding Player of the Year as voted by the writers and broadcasters that cover the league.
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies beat Halifax Mooseheads 4-0 to win QMJHL championship in six games.
National Women's Hockey League
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.