Alan Koch Dismissed as FC Cincinnati's Head Coach
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have relieved Alan Koch of his duties as the club's head coach.
"After a series of recent issues and a team culture that had deteriorated, we determined that it's time to make a change to return a club-centered focus to the team," FC Cincinnati President and General Manager Jeff Berding said.
"This decision is not driven by recent game results themselves, but rather the underpinnings that have led to those results. We have not come close to maximizing the talent we have in the dressing room this year, nor have we seen a foundation being built that will set us up for success this year and into next year. Our whole locker room is committed to our club goal of earning an MLS postseason bid, and we need to put them in the best position to do so," Berding added.
While an international search has begun for the club's next head coach, assistant coach Yoann Damet will serve in the role of interim head coach. Damet, 29, joined FC Cincinnati in March 2017 from the Montreal Impact organization, and has served as the team's top assistant coach since. (Damet profile)
"I am confident that Yoann will immediately infuse the locker room and soccer staff with a positive energy and team approach," Berding added. "He is respected and trusted and will lead the hard work that gets the best out of our players."
Koch went 2-7-2 as head coach of FC Cincinnati's MLS team in 2019, as the team has scored a league-low 8 goals through 11 games. After originally joining the team in December 2016 as a director of scouting and analytics and assistant coach, he was promoted to head coach in February 2017. As the club's second head coach in the USL franchise, Koch went 35-13-18 in USL regular-season games, advancing to the playoffs both seasons.
After winning the 2018 USL Regular-Season Championship with a league-record 23-3-8 mark, FCC failed to advance past the conference semifinal. Koch also guided the Orange and Blue to the semifinals of the 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - including two wins over MLS franchises in the fourth round and the round of 16- while finishing sixth in the USL's Eastern Conference with a 12-10-10 regular-season mark.
"We appreciate Alan's contributions to FC Cincinnati in the United Soccer League and wish him well," Berding added.
The Orange and Blue will be back in action on Saturday, May 11, when the club returns to Nippert Stadium to host the Montreal Impact. The match will be televised locally on WSTR Star64, streamed regionally on FloFC, out-of-market on ESPN+ and carried on the radio on WDJO, while an audio stream will be available on the TuneIn app and fccincinnati.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2019
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Justin Meram from Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and a 2020 MLS SuperDraft Pick in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Favio Alvarez - LA Galaxy
- Impact Faces Red Bulls in New Jersey Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Hosts Sevilla FC in the 2019 FC Dallas Summer Classic Presented by Toyota - FC Dallas
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm - Chicago Fire
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Alan Koch Dismissed as FC Cincinnati's Head Coach - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: New York Concludes Three-Match Homestand on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Impactful Moves Headline Close of Primary Transfer Window - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Rey Ortiz
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong
- FC Cincinnati Head Coach Ron Jans Resigns
- FC Cincinnati's 2020 promotional calendar, special ticket packages and Fan Fest announced