Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS
May 7, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Los Angeles Football Club forward Carlos Vela was voted the MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS by members of the media for the month of April of the 2019 MLS season. This is the second honor this season for Vela after winning the MLS Player of the Month award in March.
As part of every MLS Player of the Month award this season, EA SPORTS FIFA 19 will release a special FUT item to honor the winning player, this month recognizing Vela for this tremendous April performance. Vela can be unlocked via a special Squad Building Challenge now live in FIFA 19 Ultimate Team.
The club's captain finished April with five goals and two assists over five matches. Vela leads the league in goals (11), shots (60), and shots on goal (24), and is tied for fourth with five assists. LAFC sits atop the league standings with 24 points (7-1-3 overall record).
LAFC began the month with a 4-0 victory at D.C. United on April 6 in which Vela opened the match with a beautiful long-range goal from the top of the box (watch goal). Vela would then add an assist, setting up Diego Rossi's tap in.
The Mexican National Team star continued his dominance with a goal and an assist in LAFC's 2-0 victory over FC Cincinnati on April 13 at Banc of California Stadium. Vela assisted on Mark-Anthony Kaye's header off a corner kick (watch assist), before adding a goal in the waning moments of the match.
Following a loss at Vancouver, LAFC would rebound with a resounding 4-1 home victory over Seattle Sounders FC on April 21 behind Vela's two goals. Vela smashed home a shot from inside the box to open the scoring, then later rounded goalkeeper Stefan Frei with a crucial second half insurance goal (watch goal).
Vela capped his tremendous month with a goal in LAFC's 1-1 draw at Seattle on April 28. After an opening minute goal by Sounders FC, Vela quickly equalized with a fourth minute tap in that would conclude the scoring for the day.
LAFC returns to action on Saturday, May 11 when facing Columbus Crew SC at MAPFRE Stadium (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+).
MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS is voted upon by a panel of select national media members in a process conducted by MLS Communications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2019
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Justin Meram from Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and a 2020 MLS SuperDraft Pick in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Favio Alvarez - LA Galaxy
- Impact Faces Red Bulls in New Jersey Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Hosts Sevilla FC in the 2019 FC Dallas Summer Classic Presented by Toyota - FC Dallas
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm - Chicago Fire
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Alan Koch Dismissed as FC Cincinnati's Head Coach - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: New York Concludes Three-Match Homestand on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Impactful Moves Headline Close of Primary Transfer Window - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.