LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that forward Carlos Vela was voted the MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS by members of the media for the month of April of the 2019 MLS season.
Vela becomes just the seventh-ever player to earn the honors in consecutive months after earning Player of the Month accolades in the first month of the 2019 campaign.
The Club's captain finished April with five goals and two assists over five contests, helping the Club to a 3-1-1 record. In his second campaign in MLS, Vela leads the league in goals (11), shots (60), and shots on goal (24). His 16 combined goals and assists are also the most by any player in the opening 10 games of a season in MLS history.
LAFC earned a 4-0 victory at D.C. United on April 6 in which Vela opened the match with a beautiful long-range goal from the top of the box at the quarter mark, followed by an assist twelve minutes later, setting up Diego Rossi's tap in.
Vela continued his dominance with another goal-plus-assist performance in the Black & Gold's 2-0 victory over FC Cincinnati on April 13 at Banc of California Stadium. He assisted on Mark-Anthony Kaye's header off a corner kick, before adding a stoppage-time goal to secure the win for LAFC.
Following a mid-week loss at Vancouver on April 17, LAFC would rebound with a resounding 4-1 home victory over Seattle Sounders FC on April 21 behind Vela's brace. The 30-year-old forward smashed home a shot from inside the box to open the scoring (GOAL), then later rounded Seattle's goalkeeper with a crucial second half insurance goal.
Vela capped his tremendous month with a goal in LAFC's 1-1 draw at Seattle on April 28. After an opening minute goal by Seattle, Vela quickly equalized three minutes later with tap in that would conclude the scoring for the day.
LAFC remains in first place in MLS following a 7-1-3 record (24 points), including a 12-game unbeaten streak at home dating back to last season. Next up for the Black & Gold is a trip to Ohio to take on Columbus Crews SC on Saturday, May 11 at MAPFRE Stadium (4:30 p.m. PT - YouTube TV, Univision KVMD, ESPN 710 AM, 980 AM).
As part of every MLS Player of the Month award this season, EA SPORTS FIFA 19 will release a special FUT item to honor the winning player, this month recognizing the LAFC forward for his tremendous April performance. Vela can be unlocked via a special Squad Building Challenge now live in FIFA 19 Ultimate Team.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2019
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Justin Meram from Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and a 2020 MLS SuperDraft Pick in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Favio Alvarez - LA Galaxy
- Impact Faces Red Bulls in New Jersey Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Hosts Sevilla FC in the 2019 FC Dallas Summer Classic Presented by Toyota - FC Dallas
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm - Chicago Fire
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Alan Koch Dismissed as FC Cincinnati's Head Coach - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: New York Concludes Three-Match Homestand on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Impactful Moves Headline Close of Primary Transfer Window - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC to Host Playoff Rally on Sunday Afternoon
- LAFC Joins EMLS Ahead of 2020 Season
- Four LAFC Members Named Finalists for MLS End-Of-Year Awards
- LAFC Launches 'For Los Angeles' as Team Prepares for Playoffs
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports