Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and a 2020 MLS SuperDraft Pick in Trade with Atlanta United
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that it has acquired $100,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) and a natural Second Round Selection in the 2020 Major League Soccer SuperDraft via a trade with Atlanta United. In exchange, the Black & Gold traded midfielder Justin Meram to Atlanta. Additionally, in the event Atlanta United permanently transfer Meram to a professional soccer club outside of MLS, Crew SC shall retain a percentage of a future transfer fee.
"Throughout the year, we are regularly assessing our roster and looking to explore ways to strengthen our team, and this transaction allows for both salary budget space and roster slot availability in the secondary transfer window," said Crew SC President Tim Bezbatchenko. "We want to thank Justin for his contributions to Columbus Crew SC during his time with the Club and we wish him the best moving forward."
Since 2011, Meram has made 223 MLS regular-season appearances (159 starts). He made 206 of those appearances (145 starts) with the Black & Gold, becoming one of only five players in Club history to register at least 30 goals and 30 assists for Crew SC. Selected by Columbus with the fifth overall pick in the First Round of the 2011 MLS SuperDraft on January 13, 2011, Meram has recorded 39 goals and 37 assists in regular-season action, including 14 game-winning goals and eight game-winning assists while with the Crew.
At the international level, Meram has earned 31 caps with the Iraq National Team, making his debut in the 2014 Gulf Cup of Nations' opening match against Kuwait on November 14. The midfielder scored his first goal with the Lions of Mesopotamia during a 5-1 home victory over Chinese Taipei in a 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier on September 3, 2015, converting a penalty kick in the first minute of second half stoppage time.
Crew SC continues a stretch of three matches in eight days, hosting two Western Conference opponents at MAPFRE Stadium this week. Crew SC's two-match homestand begins against the LA Galaxy tomorrow, Wednesday, May 8 [7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew SC acquired $100,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) and a natural Second Round Selection in the 2020 Major League Soccer SuperDraft via a trade with Atlanta United. In exchange, the Black & Gold traded midfielder Justin Meram to Atlanta. Additionally, in the event Atlanta United permanently transfer Meram to a professional soccer club outside of MLS, Crew SC shall retain a percentage of a future transfer fee. The transaction was announced on May 7, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2019
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Justin Meram from Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and a 2020 MLS SuperDraft Pick in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Favio Alvarez - LA Galaxy
- Impact Faces Red Bulls in New Jersey Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Hosts Sevilla FC in the 2019 FC Dallas Summer Classic Presented by Toyota - FC Dallas
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm - Chicago Fire
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Alan Koch Dismissed as FC Cincinnati's Head Coach - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: New York Concludes Three-Match Homestand on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Impactful Moves Headline Close of Primary Transfer Window - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Darlington Nagbe in Trade with Atlanta United
- Luis Diaz and Eloy Room Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC Names Clive Brewer Director of High Performance
- Columbus Crew SC's Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Harrison Afful to Contract Extension