Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Wednesday night when it hosts Toronto FC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 7 p.m. EST and will be televised on FOX Sports Southeast. For all statistics and media information, please visit our new Media Resources page and game notes.
Toronto FC is one of just three MLS teams Atlanta United has never beaten (Seattle, Cincinnati), as Atlanta is 0-1-3 versus Toronto with three meetings ending in 2-2 draws, including both matches played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Atlanta returns home where the team is tied for the most wins (regular season and playoffs) in the league since 2017 with 20.
Atlanta defeated Sporting Kansas City 3-0 May 5 at Children's Mercy Park to earn its second consecutive road victory and third win in the club's last four matches. Josef Martinez scored twice and Ezequiel Barco added a goal and an assist to earn MLS Player of the Week honors for the second time this season. Martinez and Barco are now tied for the team-lead in goals with four each and Martinez is Atlanta's all-time leading scorer against Toronto with four goals.
Toronto is coming off a 2-0 victory at Orlando City SC on May 4. Jonathan Osorio and Jay Chapman scored in the 65th and 77th minutes to give Toronto a win to begin its two-match road trip. Jozy Altidore leads Toronto with five goals and Alejandro Pozuelo has added four goals and a team-high six assists.
Wednesday, May 8 | Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA |7 p.m. (EST)
Atlanta United (3-3-2, 11 points) vs. Toronto FC (5-2-1, 16 points)
English TV | FOX Sports Southeast
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
6 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
6:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2019
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Justin Meram from Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and a 2020 MLS SuperDraft Pick in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Favio Alvarez - LA Galaxy
- Impact Faces Red Bulls in New Jersey Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Hosts Sevilla FC in the 2019 FC Dallas Summer Classic Presented by Toyota - FC Dallas
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm - Chicago Fire
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Alan Koch Dismissed as FC Cincinnati's Head Coach - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: New York Concludes Three-Match Homestand on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Impactful Moves Headline Close of Primary Transfer Window - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United to Open 2020 MLS Season at Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Acquires More Than $1 Million in Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Columbus
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Final
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC
- Josef Martinez, Miles Robinson Named to 2019 MLS Best XI