Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today that it has acquired veteran goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm from 2. Bundesliga side Holstein Kiel. Kronholm is under contract through the 2021 season with a Club option for the 2022 season.
"Kenneth is a player that we have scouted and pursued at length," said Chicago Fire Soccer Club President and General Manager Nelson RodrÃ-guez. "We believe his talents fit our game model very well and he was really committed to joining our Club. We're looking forward to welcoming him to Chicago."
Born in Fort Belvoir, Va., Kronholm, who holds dual citizenship in the United States and Germany, has spent the past 14 seasons competing in various leagues in Germany. Since making his professional debut in 2005, Kronholm, 33, has made 326 professional appearances and notched 91 clean sheets across all competitions. His career highlights include double-digit clean sheets in four consecutive seasons, including a career high 19 clean sheets in the 2014-15 3. Liga campaign with Holstein Kiel.
An experienced goalkeeper, Kronholm joins the Fire after spending the past five seasons with Holstein Kiel. In the 2016-17 season, he helped the German club earn promotion to the 2. Bundesliga, tallying 17 clean sheets in 39 appearances (39 starts) across all competitions. Most recently, Kronholm appeared in 30 matches in the 2018-19 season, tallying six clean sheets.
Transaction: The Chicago Fire Soccer Club acquires goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm on May 7, 2019.
Name: Kenneth Kronholm
Weight: 183 lbs.
Date of Birth: Oct. 14, 1985
Birthplace: Fort Belvoir, Virginia
Citizenship: United States of America, Germany
Last Club: Holstein Kiel
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2019
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Justin Meram from Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and a 2020 MLS SuperDraft Pick in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Favio Alvarez - LA Galaxy
- Impact Faces Red Bulls in New Jersey Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Hosts Sevilla FC in the 2019 FC Dallas Summer Classic Presented by Toyota - FC Dallas
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm - Chicago Fire
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Alan Koch Dismissed as FC Cincinnati's Head Coach - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: New York Concludes Three-Match Homestand on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Impactful Moves Headline Close of Primary Transfer Window - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: July 22 - July 27, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-0 to Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Battles Columbus Crew SC to 2-2 Draw
- Chicago Fire Acquires $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Cristian Martinez Called up to U-22 Panama National Team