Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (24-15) suffered a series sweep at the hands of the Omaha Storm Chasers (18-21) as they fell 8-1, Tuesday at Principal Park.
The Storm Chasers began hitting starter Duane Underwood Jr. (L, 2-4) right away as a one-out double from Erick Mejia in the first turned into the first run of the game.
Underwood scattered two hits and two walks through the next two frames but was able to keep the Storm Chasers from extending their lead until the middle innings.
A three-run homer from Humberto Arteaga pushed Omaha to a 4-0 edge in the fourth and the visiting team ran away with the game with a four-run fifth inning. Four hits and an error generated the offense as Andrew Susac doubled in one, another scored on a groundout, and Arteaga plated the final pair with a single.
Brian Flynn (W, 1-2) was perfect through four before Phillip Evans foiled the effort with bang as he clubbed his second home run in as many games to lead off the fifth. Iowa would get two on with no outs in the inning but failed to plate another run.
Iowa's bullpen effort was sturdy as it picked up 5.0 frames today. Dillon Maples allowed one run through 2.0 innings before Tim Collins, Junichi Tazawa, and Dakota Mekkes each tossed a shutout frame.
- Duane Underwood Jr. matched career highs with 11 hits and seven earned runs allowed.
- Iowa was swept by Omaha for the first time at Principal Park since June 11-13, 2012.
- Victor Caratini went 1-for-4 with one strikeout in his fourth rehab game with Iowa.
- Ian Rice went 2-for-3 with a walk.
Iowa takes the day off tomorrow before returning to face New Orleans with a doubleheader on Thursday at 4:38 p.m. Promotions include Mug Club and the first Iowa Cubs Mini Card Pack Giveaway. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.