Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18)
Game #38: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18)
Pitching Matchup: LHP Wes Benjamin (1-4, 9.45) vs. RHP Jake Woodford (2-0, 2.04)
First Pitch: 11:05 CST
Radio: 97.5 FM
TV: MiLB TV
From the Notes
Wes Benjamin: 25-year-old Wes Benjamin starts for the Sounds this morning. The left-hander is making his 8th start of the season and is 1-4 with a 9.45 ERA while covering 26.2 innings. Benjamin has yielded 39 hits and 16 walks to go with his 22 strikeouts. He last pitched on May 9 in a start against Oklahoma City. He allowed 2 earned runs on 4 hits in 5.0 innings. Benjamin spent the majority of his 2018 season with Double-A Frisco where he went 5-6 with a 3.62 ERA in 15 starts. The southpaw spent nearly two months on the disabled list from June 7-July 31 with a left elbow strain. Despite missing time, Benjamin led the Frisco staff in wins and ranked among team leaders in strikeouts (3rd), starts (T3rd) and innings (4th). In his minor league career, Benjamin is 22-22 with a 4.16 ERA while covering 69 games (66 starts). The Rangers drafted the Illinois native in the 5th round of the 2014 MLB Draft out of Kansas University.
Searching for a Split: The current series is number nine on the season for Nashville, and the team is searching for its third split with a win today. The Sounds have a series record of 0-6-2 going into today's finale.
That's a Trip: Going into today's series finale against Memphis, the Sounds are currently 3-3 on the 13-day, 14-game road trip. Not including the May 10 suspended game in Oklahoma City, Nashville batters are hitting .289 (59-for-204) with 32 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 5 home runs, 31 walks, 56 strikeouts and 6 stolen bases during the trip. Nashville pitching has a 5.12 ERA (51.0 IP/29 ER) with 58 hits allowed, 9 home runs allowed, 13 walks issued to go with 37 strikeouts.
Six is Key from the Start: Starter Seth Maness was solid again yesterday and turned in another six-inning performance, his second in three starts with Nashville. In 37 games, Sounds' starters have gone at least six innings 9 different times. In those 9 games, the Sounds have a 5-4 record.
It's Gonna be May: Zack Granite has enjoyed a red-hot month of May at the plate. In 12 games in May, the outfielder is hitting .396 (19-for-48) with 8 runs scored, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, 4 walks and 5 stolen bases. Granite's .396 batting average in the month is the 8th-highest in the Pacific Coast League.
Streaking Willie: With another hit yesterday, Willie Calhoun has hit safely in 14 consecutive games for the Sounds and owns the longest active streak in the Pacific Coast League. During the 14-game streak, he's hitting .354 (17-for-48) with 9 runs, 2 doubles, 5 home runs, 12 RBI and 12 walks.
What's the word around Nashville?
AHA GreaterNashville (@HeartNashville)
@nashvillesounds pitcher Tim Dillard wants us to know our numbers! High blood pressure is a leading cause of stroke, so this #StrokeMonth, get out and check your blood pressure! #CheckItNashville #KnowYourNumbers
Nashville Tennessee (@NashvilleTenn)
This Friday is the @NashvilleSounds and @PuckettsGrocery BIG GUITAR BREWFEST at @FirstTNPark. Get Your Tix Here http://bit.ly/bigbrewfest2019
Greg Scallan (@gregscallan)
My new article is out! Go check out my interview with Eli White (Rangers AAA Prospect) and see what he has to say about his Grandma's Lasagna! #rangers https://theprospecttimes.com/sitting-down-with-rangers-aaa-prospect-infielder-eli-white-from-the-nashville-sounds/
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Announce 2020 Schedule
- Sounds to Host Job Fair for GLOW Nashville on Monday, October 28 at First Tennessee Park
- Nashville Sounds Nominated for Prestigious Minor League Baseball Honor
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59)