Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock
Round Rock, Texas - The Oklahoma City Dodgers scored 15 runs over three innings, including 11 runs in the seventh inning, as they emphatically avoided a series sweep with a 15-6 win against the Round Rock Express Tuesday afternoon at Dell Diamond.
The Dodgers trailed, 5-0, after four innings before rallying with 15 runs between the fifth and seventh innings for their first win of the season against the Express.
The 11 runs scored in the seventh inning were the most runs scored in an inning by an Oklahoma City team since the RedHawks scored 12 runs in the fifth inning of a 17-3 win at Nashville April 16, 2009. The offensive output marked the most runs ever scored in an inning by an opponent against the Express.
The Dodgers (12-25) found themselves in an early deficit on the scoreboard at Dell Diamond.
Dodgers starting pitcher Rob Zastryzny retired the first six batters he faced before the Express' Drew Ferguson and Nick Tanielu hit back-to-back doubles to lead off the bottom of the third inning and push Round Rock to a 1-0 lead.
The Express boosted their lead to 5-0 in the fourth inning. Yordan Alvarez, Taylor Jones and Kyle Tucker hit three straight singles to load the bases with none out. Ferguson followed and hit the first pitch he saw out to left field for a grand slam and five-run Express advantage. The grand slam was the second hit by the Express against Oklahoma City this season and the third allowed by the Dodgers overall in 2019.
But the Dodgers quickly answered in the top of the fifth inning, scoring three runs on three doubles.
Connor Joe was hit by pitch with one out and scored when Matt Beaty lined a RBI double into center field for the first run of the afternoon for Oklahoma City. Kyle Garlick followed with a RBI double into left field and Will Smith later added a two-out RBI double to cut Round Rock's lead to 5-3.
The Express got one run back in the bottom of the frame when Kyle Tucker hit a two-out solo home run for a 6-3 lead. A sacrifice fly by Oklahoma City's Joe scored Daniel Castro from third base in the top of the sixth inning cut Round Rock's lead to two runs.
The Dodgers then came from behind to tie the game and take a commanding lead in the seventh inning, as Oklahoma City collected eight hits in the inning. Nine players reached base with two outs in the inning and 10 of the 11 runs scored by the Dodgers in the frame would be unearned.
Shane Peterson led off the inning with a triple and scored on a sacrifice fly by Will Smith, which was coupled with an error by Round Rock right fielder Taylor Jones, to allow Smith to reach second base.
Perkins then followed with a RBI double to bring home Smith and knot the game, 6-6.
The Dodgers went on to load the bases with two outs later in the inning. Matt Beaty stepped up to the plate next and lined a bases-clearing double into right field to push the Dodgers to a 9-6 lead.
In his second at-bat of the inning, Peterson's RBI double brought home another run for Oklahoma City. Smith followed with a RBI single. After Perkins drew a walk, Drew Jackson hit a ground-rule double that brought home two more runs before Daniel Castro's two-run double closed out the 11-run inning for the Dodgers as they opened up a 15-6 lead.
The Express (24-14) later loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth inning, but Dodgers reliever Luis Vasquez got Ferguson to pop out to end the game.
The 15 runs scored by the Dodgers Tuesday were the most scored by the team in a game this season and most since the Dodgers closed out the 2018 regular season with a 16-4 win at Colorado Springs Sept. 3, 2018.
Oklahoma City's 15 hits tied the team's season-high mark, first accomplished April 16 against Omaha at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Beaty, Peterson and Smith each finished with three hits apiece for the Dodgers. Beaty also added a season-high four RBI, while Smith had three RBI. Castro also finished with a multi-hit game for OKC.
Dodgers starting pitcher Zastryzny allowed six runs and nine hits over 5.0 innings. He did not issue a walk and had six strikeouts as he boosted his strikeout total to 25 over his last three games.
Louis Head (1-0) followed Zastryzny on the mound for the Dodgers and picked up the win, retiring all three batters he faced in the sixth inning. Head, Josh Sborz, Joe Broussard and Vasquez held the Express scoreless and to two total hits over the final four innings Tuesday.
Round Rock reliever Rogelio Armenteros (1-3) was charged with the loss, allowing five runs (one earned) on four hits over 2.0 innings with one walk.
The Express entered Tuesday's series finale with a 3-0 lead in the series and had won each of the first six meetings of the season against the Dodgers.
After a league-wide day off Wednesday, the Dodgers return home to open a five-game series against the Omaha Storm Chasers at 7:05 p.m. on a $2 Thursday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, featuring $2 select beer, Pepsi products and bottled water.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers Hosting Sixth Annual Fan Fest March 28
- OKC Dodgers Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Annual OKC Dodgers High School Baseball Series Returns this Week
- OKC Dodgers Announce Special Promotions for 2020 Home Schedule