Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis
MEMPHIS - A tight game in Memphis turned into a 9-3 loss for the Nashville Sounds in the series finale at AutoZone Park Tuesday afternoon. Memphis scored seven runs over their final three innings to help run away with a series win.
Nashville starter Wes Benjamin turned in a solid outing on the bump. The southpaw went six innings and allowed three runs on four hits in his first quality start of the season.
The lone hiccups allowed by Benjamin came in the fourth when Rangel Ravelo drilled a two-run homer to left field, and in the sixth when Tyler O'Neill's solo blast gave the Redbirds a 3-0 lead.
Memphis tacked on three runs in the seventh against Sounds' reliever Taylor Guerrieri. The Redbirds held a 6-0 lead into the top of the eighth before Willie Calhoun knocked in the first run of the game for the Sounds. His second hit of the day drove in Carlos Tocci from second base to make it a 6-1 game.
Calhoun went 2-for-3 with a walk and extended his hitting streak to 15 games - the longest active streak in the Pacific Coast League. Calhoun is one of only 16 Nashville Sounds to put together a hitting streak of at least 15 games since they began play in the PCL in 1998.
Zack Granite went 1-for-4 out of the leadoff spot and moved his hitting streak to 11 games.
Memphis starter Jake Woodford kept Nashville's offense off the board. The right-hander tossed seven shutout innings and limited the Sounds to five hits. He picked up the win and improved to 3-0 on the season.
The Sounds enjoy a league-wide off day Wednesday before continuing their road trip in Round Rock, Texas on Thursday. Right-hander Phillips Valdez (0-4, 4.82) starts for Nashville against right-hander Rogelio Armenteros (1-2, 4.43) for Round Rock. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
With today's 9-3 loss, the Sounds dropped to 13-25 on the season.
Willie Calhoun extended his league-leading hitting streak to 15 games with a single in the fourth inning. He is batting .373 (19-for-51) with 9 runs, 2 doubles, 5 home runs, 13 RBI and 13 walks.
Zack Granite extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a single in the first inning. Granite is hitting .452 (19-for-42) with 7 runs scored and 3 RBI during his 11-game hitting streak.
Starter Wes Benjamin turned in his first quality start of the season - 6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds to Host Blood Drive at First Horizon Park
- Nashville Sounds Announce Season Ticket Member Deposit Campaign for 2021 Season
- Nashville Sounds Announce Virtual 5K Run Presented by First Horizon
- Nashville Sounds to Open First Horizon Park for Private Batting Practice Groups
- Nashville Sounds Issue Statement on 2020 Alternate Season at First Horizon Park