Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale
Las Vegas, NV - In his second game since rejoining the Tacoma Rainiers, Braden Bishop launched two home runs, helping cap a six-run, come-from-behind victory in Las Vegas against the Aviators on Tuesday, 9-7.
After falling behind 6-0 in the first inning, Tacoma (19-21) began to claw its way back in the fourth when Austin Nola belted his fifth home run of a season, a solo shot to lead off the frame. Nola provided his second RBI in the fifth when he singled home Kyle Seager, cutting the deficit, 6-2.
The Rainiers tied the game with a four-run sixth inning, starting with Connor Kopach's first career Triple-A home run, a two-run blast that also scored Ryan Court. Two batters later, Bishop tied the contest with his first home run since being optioned from Seattle to Tacoma on May 11 to score himself and Billy Cooke.
Two innings after Bishop's equalizing home run, he gave the Rainiers a 7-6 lead with his second home run, a solo round-tripper.
After Las Vegas (23-17) tied the game in the eighth against Ruben Alaniz (1-1), Ryan Court put Tacoma up for good with a two-run double that scored Nola and Ian Miller for a 9-7 advantage.
In the bottom of the ninth, Matt Festa earned his first save by recording two strikeouts and leaving the potential tying run at the plate.
With the victory, Tacoma earned a four-game series split and improved to 9-5 in May. In his first game of a Major League rehab assignment, Kyle Seager went 1-4 with a run in the victory.
Tacoma has Wednesday off before starting a five-game wraparound series in Reno against the Aces, Triple-A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Left-hander Tommy Milone (3-2, 3.45) will get the start on the mound and Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Braden Bishop of the Tacoma Rainiers at the plate
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno
- Rainiers Rattle off Season-Highs in Runs and Hits in Blowout Victory at Reno
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators