Dodgers Slowed By Express Again
Round Rock, Texas - The Round Rock Express broke a tie with three runs between the seventh and eighth innings and limited the Oklahoma City Dodgers' offense to two runs for a third straight game, as Round Rock won, 5-2, Monday night at Dell Diamond.
For the second straight game, the Express hit a home run in the first inning to take an early lead. Jack Mayfield's solo shot with two outs put Round Rock ahead, 1-0.
Round Rock (24-13) added to the lead in the second inning. Kyle Tucker led off with a triple and was still at third base with runners at the corners and two outs. During a pickoff attempt of the runner at first base, Tucker took off for home plate and scored to make it 2-0.
The Dodgers (11-25) used a pair of home runs to tie the game in the fourth inning. Kyle Garlick led off with a mammoth blast that landed above the batter's eye in center field. The ball hit off the slanted roof and bounced over the structure for his team-leading 10th home run of the season and sixth in the last eight games.
Two batters later, Will Smith sent a line drive to right-center field that went off the safety railing above the home run line, pulling the Dodgers even.
Cameron Perkins followed Smith's homer with a single, but after that, the Express retired 14 straight OKC batters. The Dodgers did not have another baserunner until Garlick led off the ninth inning with a single, but Ronel Blanco retired each of the next three hitters to close out the game.
The Express left the go-ahead run at third base in both the fifth and sixth innings before gaining the lead in the seventh. Round Rock started the inning with three straight extra-base hits, including a go-ahead solo home run by Garrett Stubbs. Alex De Goti and Derek Fisher then notched back-to-back doubles, extending the lead to 4-2.
Nick Tanielu added a solo homer in the eighth inning to finish the scoring.
The Express tallied nine hits Monday, with seven going for extra bases. The Dodgers collected just five hits and did not advance any runners into scoring position.
Round Rock reliever Kent Emanuel (2-1) tossed three perfect innings with one strikeout to pick up the win. He combined with starting pitcher Cionel Pérez and Blanco to retire 17 of the last 18 batters, with Blanco picking up the save in his Triple-A debut.
Dodgers starting pitcher Brock Stewart threw five solid innings in the no decision. He allowed two runs and four hits, with three walks and a season-high six strikeouts. The OKC bullpen allowed three runs and five extra-base hits over the final innings. Kevin Quackenbush (1-2) allowed both runs in the seventh inning and took the loss.
The Dodgers are now 0-6 against the Express this season and will enter Tuesday's series finale looking to avoid a four-game sweep at Dell Diamond. First pitch is set for 11:35 a.m., and live radio coverage of each begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.