Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake
Today's Game: The Aces will look to avoid a series sweep this afternoon in game four against the Salt Lake Bees. Manager Chris Cron will send right-hander Taylor Clarke to the mound hoping to slow down an offense that has posted 32 runs during their stay in the Biggest Little City. Additionally, the Aces hope to snap a season-high six game losing streak. At the time of this writing, the forecast at Greater Nevada Field is scheduled to be a beautiful 74 and cloudy; perfect weather for an Aces victory.
On this Date in Baseball History: On this date in 2012, at the age of 19 years and 211 days, Nationals' rookie Bryce Harper become the youngest player in franchise history to hit a home run, breaking the mark established by Gary Carter, who was 20 years and 173 days old when he went deep as an Expo be-fore the team left Montreal to play in Washington. Harmon Killebrew remains the youngest to homer for a Washington team, accomplishing the feat with the Senators in 1955 at the age of 19 years and 88 days old.
Our Old Friend Rob: Former Aces left-handed pitcher Robbie Ray reached a milestone Monday Night, recording his 800th strikeout against the Pittsburgh Pirates. With his strikeout of Nick Kingham in the fourth inning, Ray became the second-fastest southpaw to 800 strikeouts in terms of games (125), over-taking Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw (128). In addition, Ray is the third-fastest pitcher to reach the feat in terms of innings pitched (664.0).
Knock Knock: Ildemaro Vargas is knocking on the door of history. With three hits last night, the middle infielder has 398 career hits with Triple-A Reno. He is one shy of the record of 399 (Cole Gillespie) and will become the first player in franchise history with 400 or more with a two-plus hit performance tomorrow.
First of 26: Today's starter Taylor Clarke will make his first start as a 26-year-old. The right-hander has made five starts with Reno this season and enters today's game with a record of 3-1 and an ERA of 6.12. Clarke made his Major League debut on April 20 with the Arizona Diamondbacks and his first MLB start on May 7.
Arms: Walks have become a pattern for Reno in their first 39 games of the sea-son. The Aces lead Triple-A baseball with 174 walks allowed in 336.0 innings of work. Omaha is close on their heels, having allowed 171 walks in 38 games completed. The Aces are currently on pace to allow 624 free baserunners via the walk this season, which would tie a franchise record.
Team Walks by Year
542 - 2018 | 515 - 2017 | 517 - 2016 | 543 - 2015 | 537 - 2014 | 507 - 2013 | 445 - 2012 | 538 - 2011 | 548 - 2010 | 462 - 2009
Bullish: The Reno bullpen has gotten their fair share of work this season, toss-ing a Triple-A leading 177 innings over 38 games. They have allowed 127 runs (122 earned), struck out 185, walked 104 and allowed 39 homers. Three teams in Major League baseball have bullpens with more work this season (Angels - 181.2 | Brewers - 181.0 | Rays- 177.1).
Basketball Odds: The 2019 NBA draft comes with the debut of new odds throughout the lottery (Tuesday, 5:30 p.m. on ESPN) -- giving more teams a reasonable chance of winning the No. 1 overall pick and a chance to select consensus top prospect Zion Williamson. The New York Knicks, Cleveland Cav-aliers and Phoenix Suns all have a 14% chance to land the number one pick.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada