OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019
Oklahoma City Dodgers (11-25) vs. Round Rock Express (24-13)
Game #37 of 140/Road #19 of 70 (6-12)
Pitching Probables: OKC-LHP Rob Zastryzny (0-2, 4.88) vs. RR-RHP Brady Rodgers (4-0, 2.93)
Tuesday, May 14, 2019 | Dell Diamond | Round Rock, Texas | 11:35 a.m. CT
Radio: KGHM AM-1340 The Game, 1340thegame.com, iHeartRadio - Alex Freedman
Today's Game: The OKC Dodgers and Round Rock Express close out their four-game series with an 11:35 a.m. game at Dell Diamond. The Dodgers seek their first win against the Express, as they are 6-0 so far in the season series...The Dodgers trail the current series, 0-3, and try to avoid their second series sweep of the season to the Express. Prior to this season, Round Rock had not swept OKC in a series since 2011.
Last Game: Round Rock broke a tie with three runs between the seventh and eighth innings and limited the Dodgers' offense to two runs for a third straight game, as Round Rock won, 5-2, Monday night at Dell Diamond. Jack Mayfield's solo shot in the first inning put Round Rock ahead, 1-0. In the second inning, Kyle Tucker led off with a triple and was still at third base with runners at the corners and two outs. During a pickoff attempt at first base, Tucker took off for home plate and scored to make it 2-0. OKC used a pair of home runs to tie the game in the fourth inning. Kyle Garlick led off with a mammoth blast that landed above the batter's eye in center field. Two batters later, Will Smith sent a line drive to right-center field that went off the safety railing above the home run line, pulling the Dodgers even. The Express gained the lead in the seventh. Round Rock started the inning with three straight extra-base hits, including a go-ahead solo home run by Garrett Stubbs. Alex De Goti and Derek Fisher then notched back-to-back doubles, extending the lead to 4-2. Nick Tanielu added a solo homer in the eighth. Round Rock reliever Kent Emanuel (2-1) tossed three perfect innings with one strikeout to pick up the win. He combined with Cionel Pérez and Ronel Blanco to retire 17 of the final 18 OKC batters. Dodgers reliever Kevin Quackenbush (1-2) allowed both runs in the seventh inning and took the loss.
Today's Probable Pitcher: Rob Zastryzny (0-2) looks to build on his previous strong outing when he takes the mound today in Round Rock...Zastryzny pitched 7.0 innings May 9 against Nashville in OKC for the longest start of the season by a Dodgers pitcher, although he did not factor into the decision of OKC's eventual 7-3 victory. He allowed three runs (two earned) and four hits with one walk and nine strikeouts. It was Zastryzny's longest outing since July 6, 2016 against Omaha while with the Iowa Cubs (7.0 IP)...In his last two starts, Zastryzny has allowed four earned runs over 12.1 IP while giving up just nine hits and racking up 19 strikeouts. During his start May 5 in New Orleans, he tied his career high with 10 K's before leaving the game with a minor injury...Zastryzny spent the first six seasons of his career in the Chicago Cubs organization before being released near the end of Spring Training and signing with the Dodgers in late March...He spent the majority of 2018 with Iowa (33 games) and made six appearances with Chicago. Working almost exclusively out of the bullpen, Zastryzny went 3-2 with a 3.86 ERA for Iowa over 56.0 IP...Zastryzny was selected by the Cubs in the second round of the 2013 MLB Draft from the University of Missouri...Last season, Zastryzny made four relief appearances against the Express, pitching a combined 5.2 innings, allowing nine hits, eight runs, five walks and five strikeouts. Tonight is his ninth career appearance and third start against Round Rock. He last started against Round Rock July 1, 2016 while with Iowa.
Against the Express: 2019: 0-6 2018: 10-6 All-time: 124-104 At RR: 65-49
The Dodgers and Express meet for their second series of the month and first at Dell Diamond this season...Round Rock swept a weather-shortened three-game series at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark May 1-2, outscoring the Dodgers, 31-12, and it marked the first time Round Rock swept OKC since 2011. Yordan Alvarez, the MiLB Uncle Ray's April Player of the Month for the PCL, went 9-for-12 in the series with four doubles, a home run, seven RBI and six runs scored...Round Rock is again the Triple-A affiliate of the Houston Astros after spending the 2011-18 seasons as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers...OKC won the 2018 season series between the teams, 10-6, and has now won four straight season series against the Express...OKC has had an extended run of success at Dell Diamond, including a 6-2 mark at the venue last year. In 14 seasons since the teams began playing each other in 2005, OKC has finished with a record of .500 or better 12 times and has not had a losing record since 2009.
Runaway Train: Round Rock has won six straight games against the Dodgers for just the second time since the teams started playing in 2005. The Express last won seven straight games against OKC during the 2006 season. Prior to this season, the Express had not won as many as four straight games against OKC since 2014...With wins in each of the first three games, this is just the second time since the start of the 2012 season the Express will win a home series against OKC. They have not swept OKC at home since May 1-4, 2006...The Dodgers did not have a runner reach scoring position last night and have gone 7-for-45 overall against the Express with runners in scoring position. In their last four meetings, they are 0-for-the-last-24 with RISP and have left 22 runners in scoring position, including 14 at third base...OKC is 16-for-93 (.172) in the current series is batting .196 overall against the Express this season.
Dinger Details: Both of the Dodgers' runs Monday night scored on solo home runs by Kyle Garlick and Will Smith in the fourth inning...The Dodgers have now hit 19 home runs over their last 10 games after hitting 16 home runs over their first 26 games of the season...OKC has homered in a season-high five straight games, totaling 10 dingers during the stretch hit by seven different players, including three by Garlick...The Dodgers allowed three home runs last night, marking the first time in seven games an opponent had a multi-homer night.
On Strike: The Dodgers' pitching staff tallied 10 more strikeouts last night for its 17th double-digit strikeout game of the season and fifth in the last seven games. The Dodgers lead the PCL American Conference with 354 strikeouts over 302.0 innings this season. The Dodgers rank third overall in the PCL in strikeouts, but league-leading Sacramento (375) has pitched 39.1 more innings and second-place Tacoma (363) has pitched 37.2 more innings than OKC...OKC set the PCL single-season record for strikeouts in both 2016 and 2017, with 1,245 and 1,277 K's, respectively, but Fresno bested both of those totals in 2018 with 1,330 K's...When opponents don't strike out, they are batting .402 (333x829) overall and .434 (138x318) over the last 13 games.
Garlick Smash: Kyle Garlick went 2-for-4 with a home run Monday night and has hit safely in nine of his last 11 games. Including Friday night's suspended game against Nashville, he is 17-for-44 (.386) with six home runs, 12 extra-base hits, nine runs scored and 14 RBI over his last 11 games...Garlick has hit an OKC-best 10 homers through 34 games in 2019 after hitting a team-leading 17 homers in 97 total games last season...His six homers since May 5 are tied with Sacramento's Mike Yastrzemski for the most in all of the Minors or Majors.
Rehab Report: Los Angeles Dodgers reliever Caleb Ferguson pitched a scoreless sixth inning last night, allowing a double, a walk and a strikeout while on a Major League Rehab Assignment...Tony Cingrani made the third appearance of his Major League Rehab Assignment Sunday with OKC and worked a 1-2-3 fifth inning in Round Rock. Over 3.0 innings he's allowed no runs and two hits, with two walks and three strikeouts.
Around the Horn: Matt Beaty did not play yesterday, but is 7-for-his-last-14 (including Friday) after going 0-for-7 immediately upon his option to OKC...Today is OKC Dodgers pitcher/cat enthusiast Tony Gonsolin's 25th birthday...Round Rock starting pitcher Brady Rodgers made two starts for the OKC RedHawks between the 2013-14 seasons, allowing a total of one run and seven hits over 11.0 innings.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.