Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs
Omaha third baseman Humberto Arteaga clubbed four hits, including a homer, while driving in four runs, while the bullpen trio of Tim Hill , Michael Ynoa and Kevin McCarthy combined for four scoreless frames in support of starter Brian Flynn 's strong outing to complete a four-game sweep of the Iowa Cubs in an 8-1 triumph on Tuesday afternoon at Principal Park.
Omaha opened the scoring in the first frame courtesy of CF Bubba Starling 's RBI single to right. Three innings later, that margin doubled to 2-0 thanks to a run-scoring base hit from 2B Jecksson Flores before Arteaga went yard with a two-run shot, his first longball of the season, to extend the advantage to four.
That lead would grow to eight in the very next frame. C Andrew Susac smacked an RBI double to left and Arteaga added a two-run single to center, his third and fourth runs driven in, to highlight the big inning. Iowa 2B Phillip Evans ended the Storm Chasers' shutout hopes with a solo home run in the last of the fifth.
Arteaga's (4-5, R, HR, 4 RBI) four knocks paced all batters, with Starling (2-3, R, RBI, 2 BB) and 1B Cheslor Cuthbert (2-4, 2B, BB) adding multi-hit efforts. Cubs DH Ian Rice (2-3, BB) was the only hitter from the home side to tally two or more hits. The victory gave Omaha a four-game sweep of the Cubs, marking the first time the squad has swept a four-game series since May 11-14 in 2017 at Las Vegas.
Storm Chasers southpaw Brian Flynn (5.0 IP, 2 H, R, ER, 2 BB, 3 K) earned the win, yielding a lone earned run on just two hits in five innings of work. Hill (2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 K), Ynoa (1.0 IP, H, K) and McCarthy (1.0 IP, H, K) joined forces for the final four scoreless frames. Iowa starter Duane Underwood Jr. (4.0 IP, 11 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 4 K) suffered the defeat.
Following an off day tomorrow, the Storm Chasers continue their nine-game road trip by starting a five-game set in Oklahoma City on Thursday, May 16. First pitch of the series opener is set for 7:05pm CT. RHP Zach Lovvorn (1-2, 10.17) is anticipated to get the nod for Omaha, while LHP Ben Holmes (0-4, 6.43) is slated to start for the Dodgers.
Following their nine-game road trip, Omaha returns to Werner Park on Tuesday, May 21 to begin a nine-game homestand. First pitch of the series opener versus the Iowa Cubs that evening is set for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.