'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions
Nate Orf hit a bases-clearing three-run double in the fourth inning, and the San Antonio Missions beat the New Orleans Baby Cakes, 5-2 on Tuesday afternoon.
The Missions claimed the series finale and five of the eight consecutive meetings between the division rivals.
Neither team capitalized on scoring poortunities through the first three innings, but San Antonio got a leadoff double from Tyler Saladino in the fourth, and a pair of walks loaded the bases before Orf laced a double to the wall in left-center field.
Gabriel Guerrero came off the bench to swat a pinch homer in the fifth, getting the Baby Cakes on the board, and Deven Marrero went deep an inning later to draw the 'Cakes within a run.
But the Missions answered in the seventh, as Orf and Jake Hager led off with singles and both scored on Mauricio Dubon's soft two-out liner to right.
San Antonio's bullpen held the Baby Cakes to one run and two hits over the final 4 2/3 innings, with Donnie Hart (2-1) earning the victory. Jake Petricka struck out two in a perfect ninth to nail down his first save.
Ben Meyer (1-4) was charged with the loss after allowing three runs and five hits in five innings. He walked three and struck out three.
Monte Harrison picked up three of the Baby Cakes' six hits, including a double off the right field wall in the third, and stole his league-leading 13th base.
New Orleans has an off day on Wednesday, then travels to Des Moines to open a six-game series against the Iowa Cubs with a doubleheader on Thursday at 4:38 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Cantu Announces Arrival with Pair of Homers to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats fall to Chihuahuas to close out lengthy homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Puello Leads Bees to Sweep in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Blow Big Early Lead, Fall 9-7 to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Derail Express 15-6 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Bishop Homers Twice, Rainiers Complete Big Comeback in Vegas Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacos serve up a series win over Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ildemaro Vargas Becomes Aces New Hit King - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop Series Final, 10-3, in Fresno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Complete Sweep with 8-1 Win over Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Win Slugfest in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Trounce I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Eleven-Run Inning Rockets Dodgers to Win in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Mash Way to 9-3 Win over Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Split with the 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Series Finale to Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 4A State High School Baseball Championships - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Echo Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Local Playing Field with RBI Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-24) vs. Memphis Redbirds (20-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (20-18) vs Nashville Sounds (13-24) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces on Wrong Side of Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
- Dunshee Fans 9 in Triple-A Debut, Aviators Rally Past Tacoma 4-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopes Homers for Third Consecutive Game in Rainiers Defeat against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno completes comeback, defeating Albuquerque 8-7 Monday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Quantrill's Return Sparks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Yastrzemski homers again but River Cats fall 5-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Fail to Hold Lead in 8-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Slowed By Express Again - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.