Wolves Claim First-Place Showdown
ROSEMONT, Illinois -- The Chicago Wolves took over first place in the Central Division on Wednesday night, topping the Grand Rapids Griffins 5-2 at Allstate Arena.
Center Gage Quinney tallied two goals while forwards Daniel Carr and Tyler Wong and defenseman Dylan Coghlan also scored for Chicago (23-13-3-1). Netminder Oscar Dansk (14-6-2) made 28 saves in the win.
Forwards Dominic Turgeon and Givani Smith each scored for Grand Rapids (21-13-3-4) while goaltender Patrik Rybar (9-6-5) saved 22 shots. The Griffins and the Iowa Wild trail the Wolves by 1 point in the division race.
"Look at our division," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "Every game we've had seems like an important game. I was happy with our game tonight. I really was."
Turgeon set up Grand Rapids with a goal at 2:02, breaking into the Wolves zone and slipping a shot under Dansk's elbow, and the Griffins would take a 1-0 lead into first intermission.
The Wolves responded with three goals in the second period, taking the lead for good over the Griffins. Coghlan lit the lamp first on a 5-on-3 advantage, sending a one-timer from the top of the left circle between Rybar's pads at 5:52.
Just 62 seconds later, Quinney snagged a puck from one of the Griffins at the Wolves blue line and raced in on Rybar. Quinney deked right before shooting left for his 10th goal of the season and a 2-1 Wolves lead.
Smith tied it up for the Griffins at 14:13, grabbing the puck off the faceoff to Dansk's right and sending a quick shot under his glove, but it took the Wolves just 15 seconds to regain the lead.
Forward Tye McGinn was low in the Griffins zone and sent a pass up the boards to defenseman Erik Brännström at the point. Brännström centered himself before sending a slap shot in toward Wong, who tipped the shot over Rybar at 14:28.
Quinney put away his second at the 8:35 mark of the third period, catching a pass from behind the net in the slot and sending it over Rybar's blocker.
Carr sealed the win with an empty-net goal at 19:41.
The Wolves return to Allstate Arena at 7 p.m. Saturday for an Illinois Lottery Cup clash with the Rockford IceHogs. It will be the Wolves' inaugural eSports Night as well as the debut of the team's commemorative Animal Adoption Awareness jerseys. For the best ticket deals, visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2019
- Flyers Acquire Right Wing Justin Bailey from Buffalo - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Acquire Forward Leier - Rochester Americans
- Registration for 10th Annual Bowl-A-Thon Opens Friday, January 18 - Rockford IceHogs
- Hogberg Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Texas Stars Return Brad McClure to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Iacopelli Recalled to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- 'Canes Recall Nedeljkovic from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Florida Panthers Recall D Josh Brown from Springfield Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Country Star Brett Young to Perform Post-Game January 25 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jost, Graves Assigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Announce Fan Fest Details - Belleville Senators
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers to Host Star Wars Night this Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Special Appearances Highlight Phantoms Racing Night on Friday January 25th - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Canucks Recall Tanner Kero from Comets - Utica Comets
- Moose Sign Forward Chris Collins - Manitoba Moose
- D Frank Hora Recalled from Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anthony Stolarz Loaned to Phantoms for Conditioning Purposes - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Extend Point Streak to 15 with 2-1 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Anaheim Ducks Acquire Derek Grant from Pittsburgh in Exchange for Joseph Blandisi - San Diego Gulls
- Stars Unable to Erase Early Gulls Lead - Texas Stars
- Griffins Tied for Second After 5-2 Loss to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Acquire Michael Del Zotto from Vancouver for Luke Schenn and a 2019 Seventh-Round Draft Pick - San Diego Gulls
- Currie Records Hat Trick in Condors 4-2 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Special Teams Fuel Rocket's 4-2 Victory over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Moose Take Down Milwaukee with Four Straight Goals - Manitoba Moose
- Graovac, Quine Find Twine in Loss at Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Lyon and Leier Lead Phantoms Past Springfield - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Claim First-Place Showdown - Chicago Wolves
- 'The Nasty Boys' to be Special Guests for Roadrunners Wrestling Night on January 25 - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.