TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (6-13, 39-48) @ Burlington Bees (8-11, 46-43)
RHP Sam Keating vs. RHP Kyle Tyler
Thursday, July 11 - Community Field (Burlington, Iowa) - First Pitch 7:30 PM (Game 88 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST GAME: The TinCaps fell to the Bees, 4-1.
TBT: Fort Wayne won its lone Midwest League Championship here in 2009. The 'Caps clinched a 3-0 series sweep on Thursday, Sept. 17. The TinCaps had 19 players over the course of that season who went on to make the big leagues, a Class A record.
SWEET ROAD CHICAGO: Thanks to the Padres, TinCaps players and staff spent Tuesday's off-day in Chicago. The team toured the Willis Tower Skydeck, The Bean at Millennium Park, and Navy Pier, while capping the day off with a boat tour of Lake Michigan and an Italian dinner.
ROSTER MOVES: On Tuesday, the Padres promoted infielder Xavier Edwards from Fort Wayne to the High-A Lake Elsinore Storm. Edwards exits as the MWL leader in batting average (.336) and hits (103). Edwards also ranked 2nd in swinging strike % (4%), 3rd in OBP (.392), 4th in stolen bases (20), 4th in K% (10%), 6th in BB/K (0.86), and tied for 9th in triples (4)... Infielder Luke Becker has joined the 'Caps from the Short-Season Tri-City Dust Devils. See Page 4 for more on Becker.
THEY SAY IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY: TinCaps outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton celebrated his 22nd birthday Wednesday, the latest in a string of Fort Wayne players blowing out the birthday candles. Outfielder Michael Curry turned 22 on the 4th of July, while Austin Smith turned 23 on Tuesday and Grant Little turned 22 on Monday.
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris ranks 2nd in the MWL in BB% (17%) and tied for 7th in stolen bases with 17... Tonight is the first time this season he's batting in the leadoff spot.
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano has the lowest K% (9%) and 2nd lowest swinging strike % (4%) in the MWL. Tucu's bat control has been particularly noteworthy as of late. The 19-year-old has struck out just 3 times in his last 11 games (45 ABs) while drawing 4 walks.
MEXICAN POWER: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz launched 4 homers over a 14-game span from June 8-26 after not homering in his first 51 games of the season... His 43 RBIs on the year tie him for 11th in the MWL... 22% of the balls he's put in play have been line drives, the 3rd highest LD% in the league.
HUNTING HITS: In 29 games since May 26, catcher Blake Hunt has slashed .343/.387/.491 (.878 OPS) with 11 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer, and 17 RBIs... Hunt is on a season-best 12-game on-base streak.
LITTLE PLAYING BIG: Outfielder Grant Little tied a career-high with 4 hits on Saturday. His only other 4-hit game as a pro came on May 20 against South Bend. After a pair of doubles Saturday, Little has 7 doubles in 17 second-half games. (He had 7 doubles in 48 games before the All-Star break.)
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have the best ratio of strikeouts to walks in the MWL this season (3.06). 'Caps pitchers have also walked the fewest batters in the MWL, averaging only 3.0 per 9 innings.
SHUTTING THE DOOR: Fort Wayne's bullpen has been lights out the last 4 games, tossing 16.0 innings with 0 earned runs, 19 Ks, and only 7 hits/4 walks.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Fan Vote: TinCaps/Manzanas Luchadoras Join MiLB's "The Greatest Gorra" Cap Competition
- Fort Wayne Fans Savor TinCaps Family 5-Meal Kits
- TinCaps Freshen up Family 5-Meal Kits Menu
- Ft. Wayne's Farmers Market to Extend at Parkview Field, Move Outside
- TinCaps Update Family 5-Meal Kits Menu for Memorial Day Weekend