Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics
South Bend, IN: The South Bend Cubs came back to beat the Kane County Cougars on Thursday night from Four Winds Field by a final of 2-1 with small ball used to their advantage. The Cubs used a safety squeeze play to tie the game in the 6th inning after a dominant pitching performance from starter Derek Casey.
Casey took the ball Thursday and had the same type of stuff he did against Cedar Rapids in seven perfect innings back in May. With a sharp fastball, along with a dropping breaking ball and solid changeup, the right-hander made quick work of the Cougars through four scoreless innings.
In the 5th, Kane County capitalized on an RBI single from Zack Shannon to make it 1-0. South Bend quickly responded in the bottom of the 6th when Chris Morel came through in the clutch for the first time Thursday with a safety squeeze bunt with the tying run at third. Morel bunted the ball in front of the plate and Andy Weber hustled home to score.
Morel came through again in the bottom of the 8th with an RBI blooper hit over the second baseman Eddie Hernandez in right field. The hit again scored Weber and the Cubs led 2-1.
Out of the bullpen, Casey Ryan made his Four Winds Field debut with two hitless innings to keep the game tied. He was the pitcher of record during Morel's single.
Brian Glowicki made his first appearance at Four Winds Field this season and tossed a scoreless 9th inning to earn the save. For Glowicki, it was his first Midwest League save of 2019. He finished second in the league in saves last season with 18.
With the win, the Cubs improve to 48-40 overall and 11-9 in the second half. They end the night still in a tie for the wild card spot in the Eastern Division with Lansing. The series finale between the Cubs and Cougars is set for tomorrow night at 7:35 PM. Lefty Faustino Carrera will take the hill for South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.