Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan
Comstock Park, MI - The Quad Cities River Bandits made a first inning run hold up all night as they snapped a five-game losing streak with a 1-0 victory over the West Michigan Whitecaps on Thursday night at Fifth Third Ballpark. The shutout win was the 15th of the season for the River Bandits pitching staff, tying them for the most in Minor League Baseball.
In the top of the first, the River Bandits (11-8, 54-32) mustered a run despite the first two batters of the game being retired by West Michigan starting pitcher Robbie Welhaf. Grae Kessinger poked a single into left to open the threat, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored when Cesar Salazar dumped an RBI single into shallow left field. Welhaf ended up allowing just that one run in 6.0 innings on the hill, but took the tough-luck loss.
The Bandits would not score again, but they didn't need to because of the work on the mound from right-handers Brett Daniels and Devin Conn. Daniels tossed 7.0 scoreless innings as the starter to pick up the win. He recorded a season-low two strikeouts, but had Whitecaps hitters off-balance all night as he limited them to five hits. Conn entered the game in the eighth inning and struck out five of the six batters he faced in 2.0 perfect frames to collect his fourth save of the season.
Kessinger was the only River Bandits player with multiple hits, finishing the night 2-4. Andre Lipcius had two hits for the Whitecaps (8-12, 29-60) who left eight men on base in the loss.
The Bandits and Whitecaps will meet for the final time in the 2019 regular season on Friday night at 6:05 p.m. RHP R.J. Freure (4-4, 3.86) will take the ball for the River Bandits in a showdown with West Michigan RHP Chance Kirby (3-4, 4.14).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Movies at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits and Genesis Team up on COVID-19 T-Shirt
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park