LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft
CLINTON, IA - The Clinton LumberKings, in conjunction with the Miami Marlins, have added right-handed pitcher, and second overall pick in the 2014 MLB Draft, Tyler Kolek to the 25-man roster. In a corresponding move, right-handed pitcher Jeremey Ovalle was released.
Kolek, 23, was taken by the Marlins in the first round of the 2014 MLB Draft out of high school and is known for one of the fastest fastballs in the Miami organization. At the time of his being drafted, he ranked as the number three overall prospect with a commitment to pitch at Texas Christian University. His fastball was regularly clocked at 102 MPH and his senior season at Sheppard High School in Texas ended with him being named the Gatorade Texas Player of the Year.
After singing with the Marlins, injuries sidelined Kolek following his 2015 season - which was spent entirely with the Greensboro Grasshoppers. He then did not pitch in 2016 and made just five appearances in 2017, and ten total appearances in 2018.
The addition of Kolek gives the LumberKings two first rounders on the current roster and six players that were taken in the first four rounds of an MLB Draft.
The LumberKings will continue the six-game homestand with the second game of a three-game series against the Lake County Captains on Thursday night. Clinton will throw righty Alberto Guerrero (3-4, 2.66) while Lake County will tap righty Luis Oviedo (6-4, 4.56). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Start your weekend early with "Thirsty Thursday!" For fans 21 years and older come down to the ballpark and enjoy $2 select beers sold throughout the ballpark all game long!
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.