Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle
Bowling Green, KY- The Bowling Green Hot Rods jumped out to an early five-run lead, but couldn't close the deal as they fell 9-8 to the Beloit Snappers. Bowling Green fell to 53-36, 14-5 in the second half, ahead of Thursday's game, which will have a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
After Miller Hogan tossed a scoreless first, Bowling Green struck right away with a big first inning against Beloit starter Aidan McIntyre. After Ford Proctor drew a leadoff walk, Connor Hollis singled with one out, then Chris Betts followed with a double to score Proctor for the first run of the game. After another walk, Roberto Alvarez singled to right to plate a pair of runs. Jonathan Aranda followed with a two-run single of his own, scoring Witherspoon and Alvarez to give Bowling Green a quick 5-0 lead.
Beloit, though, rallied right back in the second. The Snappers began the inning with five consecutive singles, scoring two runs. After a strikeout Cobie Vance doubled off the left field wall, scoring two more runs. John Jones then lofted a foul pop up that was caught by Hollis, but Skyler Weber tagged up and scored, tying the game at 5 apiece.
In the third, Bowling Green re-gained the lead against McIntyre. With one out, Jordan Qsar launched a solo homer over the right-field bullpen to break the tie. Proctor then drew a walk and stole second. He scored when Osmy Gregorio singled to center, giving the Hot Rods a 7-5 advantage.
In the fourth, Michael Costanzo came on for Hogan and stranded two runners in scoring position, before tossing a scoreless fifth. In the sixth, though, he allowed four-consecutive hits, including three doubles, allowing Beloit to take an 8-7 lead.
Bowling Green responded by tying the game in the sixth on an RBI single by Aranda off Beloit reliever Josh Reagan, bringing home Hollis. However, the Snappers came right back and regained the lead against Nick Sprengel in the seventh. Following two walks and double, Sprengel walked John Jones on a full-count pitch, bringing home the go-ahead run to make it 9-8.
The Hot Rods had a shot to tie the game in the ninth inning as Alvarez led off with a single, but Aranda rolled into a double play to quell the threat, as the Hot Rods came up just short.
Hogan went 3.1 innings, allowing five runs on eight hits, walking three and striking out four in a no-decision. Constanzo went 2.2 innings, allowing three runs on five hits, while striking out three. Sprengel went 1.0 inning, allowing a run on one hit, while walking three and striking out one, taking the loss. Chris Muller threw two scoreless innings, walking one and striking out five.
Notes: Thursday was the longest nine-inning game in franchise history, lasting 4:01...It surpassed a 3:48 contest on August 10, 2010...Witherspoon walked a career-high three times...Hollis picked up his ninth multi-hit contest...Betts recorded his 15th multi-hit night...Aranda had multiple hits for the third time...His three RBI tie a career-high...Gregorio extended his hitting streak to 11 games...He had his 15th multi-hit game...Alvarez recorded his 21st multi-hit game...Hogan went 3.1 innings, his shortest start of the season...The five runs allowed were a career-high...Wilson recorded his first outfield assist, the 20th of the season for the Hot Rods and their first since July 5 (Jordan Qsar)...Wilson's assist was just the third by Bowling Green outfielders to third base...The Hot Rods are 30-15 at home...They're 43-25 against right-handed starters in 2019...Bowling Green is 18-10 in series openers... The Hot Rods will lay the middle game of the three-game set against Beloit on Thursday, with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch...LHP Matthew Liberatore (6-1, 1.55) will start for Bowling Green, while the Beloit counters with RHP Richard Gausch (0-2, 5.66)...Thursday is Bootlegger Thursday sponsored by Casey Jones Distillery, featuring $1 and $2 beer specials...There will also be a Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em tournament on Thursday night...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020