Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons
DAYTON, OH - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers scored the only run of Thursday's game against the Dayton Dragons at Fifth Third Field for a 1-0 win. A trio of Rattlers hurlers combined on an eight-hit shutout.
Wisconsin starting pitcher Max Lazar pitched five scoreless innings, He struck out seven and walked none. Lazar had to pitch out of a two-out jam in the fifth to keep the game scoreless. He gave up back-to-back two-out singles to Jay Schuyler and Miguel Hernandez before getting a weak grounder to short to end the inning.
The Timber Rattlers (43-46 overall, 12-8 second half) got their run in the sixth inning. Dragons starting pitcher Jhon De Jesus had shut the Rattlers out on two hits and had retired ten in a row before Connor McVey, Korry Howell, and Jesús Lujano all singled to start the frame. Yeison Coca drove in McVey with a sacrifice fly to left for the 1-0 lead.
Reliever Justin Jarvis kept the Dragons (36-54, 8-12) in check in the sixth and seventh innings, but a single and an error on a sacrifice bunt in the eighth inning put runners on first and second with no outs and that was the end of the night for Jarvis.
Victor Castaneda was summoned from the bullpen to preserve the lead.
The first out of the inning was an attempted sacrifice bunt by Claudio Finol. McVey charged from first base, fielded the ball cleanly, and fired a strike to third base for the force out on the lead runner. Castaneda got the second out on a grounder back to the mound that he knocked down to get the out at first. That out moved runners to second and third.
Castaneda escaped the jam in the eighth inning with a foul pop up to McVey at first and the Rattlers maintained their 1-0 lead.
In the bottom of the ninth, Castaneda retired the first two batters he faced, but gave up back-to-back singles to Schuyler and Hernandez to keep hope alive for the Dragons. A wild pitch with Finol at the plate allowed the tying and winning runners to move into scoring position. Castaneda closed out the game by getting Finol on a weak grounder back to the mound.
The shutout was the tenth of the season for the Rattlers.
Wisconsin and Dayton have split the first two games of the series and have set up the rubber game at Fifth Third Field for Friday night. Logan Gillaspie (2-5, 3.93) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Dayton has named Lyon Richardson (2-6, 4.46) as their starter. Game time is 6:08pm CDT. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 5:45pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
WIS 000 001 000 - 1 7 1
DAY 000 000 000 - 0 8 1
WP: Max Lazar (3-1)
LP: Jhon De Jesus
SAVE: Victor Castaneda (2)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Wisconsin Drops Final Game of Road Trip with 8-4 Loss to Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers
- Rattlers and Hot Rods Start, but Can't Finish