Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win
CLINTON, IA - An eight run third inning was more than enough for the Clinton LumberKings who ran their winning streak to four games with a 10-1 win over the Lake County Captains on Thursday night at NelsonCorp Field. Alberto Guerrero earned the win for Clinton (14-6, 47-42) as part of a pitching performance that managed to work around eight walks.
The LumberKings led throughout - striking for the game's first runs in the bottom of the first inning off Captain's (11-9, 51-38) starter Luis Oviedo. Four singles in the inning led to two runs for the LumberKings with RBI hits coming from Bubba Hollins and Will Banfield.
Clinton then broke out for an eight-run rally in the bottom of the third to put the game out of reach. Oviedo (6-5) failed to make it through the third and was hung with the loss for his time out. 13 LumberKings batters came up in the inning with RBI hits belonging to Hollins, Evan Edwards, Davis Bradshaw, and Christopher Torres.
The rally was the LumberKings second largest of the season and was more than enough to end Oviedo's night. He worked 2.1 innings allowing nine runs on eight hits while walking two and striking out three.
Alberto Guerrero (4-4) started for Clinton and threw the ball well over five innings but did struggle to throw strikes. He allowed no runs on just three hits but walked three while striking out five. In total, four LumberKings pitchers combined to issue eight walks.
The Captains avoided the shutout loss with a run in the top of the seventh inning. Following a pair of walks - to set the table - Daniel Schneemann singled into left center field for Lake County's lone run of the night.
The LumberKings will continue the six-game homestand with the third game of a three-game series against the Lake County Captains on Friday night. Clinton will throw righty George Soriano (2-5, 4.11) while Lake County will tap righty Juan Mota (2-6, 5.69). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
The Lake County Captains concluded their first trip to Clinton since 2016 with the second giveaway of the homestand. Former LumberKings slugger Tyler O'Neill, and current St. Louis Cardinal outfielder, is the subject of the first bobblehead of the year with a twist that includes a bobble bicep. The musclebound giveaway is courtesy of Casey's and Mediacom and will be for the first 750 fans through the gates.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th