Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars
South Bend, Indiana - The Kane County Cougars (48-41, 13-7) fell victim to the small ball of the South Bend Cubs (48-40, 11-9) in a 2-1 loss on Thursday night at Four Winds Field. Bunts were in the middle of both run-scoring rallies for the Cubs.
In the top of the fifth, the Cougars cracked the scoreboard for the first and only time on the night. With one out, Geraldo Perdomo singled to left. Cubs outfielder Cole Roederer committed a throwing error that allowed Perdomo to reach second base. A batter later, Zack Shannon singled to give the Cougars a 1-0 edge.
In the bottom of the sixth, South Bend began their small ball barrage. Andy Weber was hit by a pitch and Brennen Davis doubled to put runners at second and third with no one out. After Fidel Mejia struck out swinging, Cristopher Morel executed a squeeze bunt to score Weber from third and tie the game, 1-1.
In the bottom of the 8th, the Weber-Davis-Morel trio produced another rally. Weber singled to begin the inning, Davis sacrificed Weber to second with a bunt and Morel singled in the go-ahead run.
Jose Cuas (0-2) allowed the eventual game-winning run, hitting Cuas with the loss. Casey Ryan (1-0) tossed two innings of scoreless ball to earn the win. Brian Glowicki (1) shutdown the Cougars in the ninth to earn the save.
The Cougars and Cubs play game three of the three-game series on Friday at 6:35 P.M. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season