'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - The West Michigan Whitecaps offense took advantage of two four-run innings and defeated the Quad City River Bandits 9-5 in the first game of a three-game series in front of 5,595 fans Wednesday night at Fifth Third Ballpark.
The Whitecaps tallied four runs in the first inning and came through with another four-run frame in the sixth to re-take the lead and take the victory, snapping a four-game losing streak.
The big first for the Whitecaps came from a Dayton Dugas grand slam home run off starter Jonathan Bermudez. The blast marked Dugas' first of the season and first as a Whitecap to provide an early 4-0 lead.
WATCH: Dugas' Grand Slam
An Andre Lipcius RBI-double in the second increased the advantage to 5-0 as the Whitecaps Wilkel Hernandez shut out the River Bandits through the first two frames. After giving up a run in the third, Hernandez was chased from the game with one out in the fourth inning and a 5-3 advantage. "Caps reliever Sandel De La Cruz entered the game and surrendered a two-run double, tying the contest at five before West Michigan rallied in the sixth. After Nick Quintana began the inning with a single, Dugas brought Quintana home with a run-producing double as the "Caps took the lead back at 6-5. Wenceel Perez continued the inning by driving in a run in with a single, and a Lipcius grounder brought home another run. The second four-run inning increased the Whitecaps lead to 9-5. The Whitecaps bullpen performed well over the final four innings, allowing only two singles and two walks to close out the victory.
The five-RBI game by Dugas represents a career high for Dugas and the most by any Whitecap in the 2019 season. The Dugas grand slam was the first for a Whitecap at Fifth Third Ballpark since August 10th, 2017 when Chad Sedio hit a grand slam as part of a 10-9 win in eleven innings. The Whitecaps outhit the River Bandits 11-10 as Ulrich Bojarski and Perez joined Dugas with two hits, and the nine runs were the most for the "Caps since a 15-1 win over Dayton on June 26th. De La Cruz (1-3) picked up the win, allowing an earned run and three hits in 1.2 innings of work. Hansel Paulino (0-1) pitched nearly an inning in taking his first loss of 2019, giving up three hits and four runs, three unearned. West Michigan improved to 8-11 in the second half and 29-59 on the season. The loss for Quad Cities increased their losing streak to a season-high five game, as they fell to 53-31 overall and 10-8 in the second half.
The Whitecaps continue this three-game series against the Quad Cities River Bandits Thursday night from Fifth Third Ballpark at 7:05 pm. Righty Robbie Welhaf starts for West Michigan against the Quad Cities River Bandits Brett Daniels. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty and Mike Coleman begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:55 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.