Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne
Burlington pitching held Fort Wayne to no runs on two hits Thursday night and took game two of the three-game set 5-0. The Bees have now run off five straight wins, its longest streak of the year.
Dylan King, making his first start of the season, threw three one-hit innings. He struck out 3 and walked none. Kyle Tyler followed with six one-hit innings of his own. He walked 3 and struck out 4 to earn his fifth win against no defeats.
Burlington second baseman Alvaro Rubalcaba was 3-3, with 2 RBI. Francisco Del Valle, on a 2-4 night, and Kevin Maitan both hit home runs. Del Valle's a two run shot.
The Bees posted all their runs in the first three innings. Maitan hit his no-doubter to right on the first pitch he saw in the first. Bees up 1-0.
With two out in the second Justin Jones was hit by a pitch, the first of four Bees hitters who would get plunked in the game. He went to third on Tim Millard's punch single to right and scored on Rubalcaba's line single to right-center. Bees up 2-0.
After Nonie Williams grounded out to start the home third, Spencer Griffin was hit by a pitch. He stole his ninth base of the year as Harrison Wenson struck out. Del Valle then mashed his fifth home run of the season. The only question off the bat was whether it would stay fair, and it did. That shot scored Griffin ahead of him. Jones worked a walk and Millard was hit by a pitch. Rubalcaba capped the scoring with another RBI single to right-center.
Rubalcaba added to his big offensive night with an outstanding play behind and another behind first.
Williams stole his team leading 17th base of the year in the fourth. He ranks ninth in the league in that category. Of note was Harrison Wenson being caught stealing in the second inning. It is the first time he has been caught in his career dating back to his college days at Michigan. He was 9 for 9 previously.
The teams finish the meeting Friday night at Community Field. Game time is 6:30.
Images from this story
Alvaro Rubalcaba of the Burlington Bees makes a leaping catch
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Burlington Bees Stories
- Burlington Bees Thank Save MiLB Task Force
- Burlington Bees Unveil 12 Days of Christmas Specials
- 2020 Burlington Bees Special Events Set
- Bees GM Named Minor League Female Executive of the Year
- Parker Named Rawlings Midwest League Woman Executive of the Year Nominee