Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains
(Clinton, IA) - The Clinton LumberKings (14-6, 47-42) broke out the bats early on Thursday, scoring two runs in the first and eight in the third to beat the Lake County Captains (11-9, 51-38), 10-1, in game two of a three-game series at NelsonCorp Field.
Clinton opened the scoring four batters into the home first. Christopher Torres led off with a single and Connor Scott hit a one-out single to put men on the corners. Bubba Hollins then hit a check-swing roller up the first base line. Captains first baseman Miguel Jerez looked home, but Torres was already about to score, and by the time Jerez turned around, Hollins was on first with an infield single. Will Banfield then knocked in Scott with a single to push the Clinton lead to 2-0.
The LumberKings exploded in the third, sending 13 men to the plate and knocking Captains starter Luis Oviedo out of the game before the inning was complete. After Peyton Burdick led off the frame with an RBI triple, Hollins and Edwards delivered RBI singles. Davis Bradshaw later plated two more with a single and Oviedo walked Zach Scott to load the bases and end his night. Eli Lingos came in from the bullpen and surrendered a two-run double to Torres. Burdick then hit a grounder to deep shortstop and Jose Fermin's throw to first skipped past Jerez, allowing two more runs to score and give Clinton a 10-0 lead.
Lake County scored its lone run in the seventh. Clinton reliever Nathan Alexander walked Gianpaul Gonzalez and Hosea Nelson to begin the inning. Fermin bounced into a force out at third, but Daniel Schneemann pulled a single into right and Nelson scored.
LumberKings starter Alberto Guerrero earned the win. Guerrero (4-4) pitched five shutout innings and scattered three hits, all singles. He struck out five, walked three and hit one batter.
Oviedo (6-5) suffered the loss after allowing nine runs, all earned, over 2.1 innings. The right-hander gave up eight hits, walked two, hit one batter and struck out three.
Despite the loss, Schneemann and Cody Farhat turned in solid offensive performances. Schneemann was 3-for-5 with three singles and Farhat reached four times on a pair of singles, a walk and a hit-by-pitch. Lingos and Kyle Marman pitched well out of the bullpen. Lingos held Clinton to one unearned run over 4.2 innings and Marman pitched a scoreless eighth.
The Captains take on Clinton again on Friday night to wrap up the series. Lake County will try to avoid a three-game sweep. First pitch at NelsonCorp Field is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Captains Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- "Lunch with the Captains" Radio Show Launches Monday on WINT
- MWL Madness: Vote for the Best All-Time Team in Midwest League History
- Captains Support COVID-19 Relief with United Way Ticket Package
- Captains Office Closed to General Public