Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win
PEORIA, Ill. - Ryan Gold lined a two-run single in the first inning and Sean Wymer brought a shutout into the seventh, leading the Lansing Lugnuts (11-9, 43-46) past the Peoria Chiefs (3-17, 33-56), 3-2, on Thursday night at Dozer Park.
The Chiefs lost their eleventh consecutive game, while the Lugnuts improved to 4-1 on their nine-game, ten-day road trip. The Nuts have allowed two runs or fewer in all five games of the road trip.
A day after Troy Miller allowed one run in seven innings in a series-opening win, it was Wymer's (Win, 5-7) turn to impress. The right-hander from TCU equaled Miller in setting down the first nine Chiefs batters and then pitched around threats in the fourth inning and the sixth inning.
Peoria starter Kyle Leahy (Loss, 4-7) was brilliant in his own right, allowing Gold's two-run single in the first inning to give the Lugnuts an early 2-0 lead, but then tamping down to face the minimum over the remainder of his seven innings, striking out 10.
Brendan Donovan's one-out solo home run in the bottom of the seventh broke up the shutout, bringing the Chiefs within 2-1. Alexis Wilson and Brandon Riley followed with consecutive singles, ending Wymer's night at 6 1/3 innings.
Marcus Reyes entered from the bullpen and retired Josh Shaw on an infield-fly-rule pop to short. Brandon Benson then lined a single to left, with Wilson attempting to score the game-tying run from second - but left fielder Hunter Steinmetz threw him out at the plate with a superb tag from catcher Gold to end the inning and thwart the Chiefs.
The Lugnuts added a significant insurance run in the eighth inning against reliever Freddy Pacheco. With one out, Hagen Danner reached second on a two-base throwing error by shortstop Delvin Perez. Danner moved to third on a groundout and then scored when Peoria catcher Wilson was unable to contain a wild pitch on a swinging-strike-three from Otto Lopez, allowing Lopez to reach while Danner raced across the plate.
Sean Rackoski recorded the final four outs for his fifth save, but it did not come without more drama. Donovan led off the bottom of the ninth with a walk and Wilson doubled to left to put the potential game-tying runs in scoring position with none out. Rackoski struck out Brandon Riley and induced a groundout from Josh Shaw, bringing in Donovan to again shave the Lugnuts' lead to one run. With the tying run now 90 feet away, Rackoski whiffed Brandon Benson to end the game.
Gold finished the game 2-for-3 with two singles and a walk. Lansing right fielder Griffin Conine went 0-for-4 on his 22nd birthday, ending an 11-game hitting streak.
The Lugnuts look to complete the three-game sweep on Friday at 7:35 p.m. Eastern / 6:35 p.m. local time, sending right-hander Troy Watson (4.81 ERA) against Chiefs left-hander Colin Schmid (4.83).
The Nuts' next homestand runs from July 17-22 against the Burlington Bees and Clinton LumberKings. To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets, visit lansinglugnuts.com, call (517) 485-4500 or come to the Cooley Law School Stadium box office at 505 E. Michigan Ave. in downtown Lansing.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Eight Run Third Leads to Fourth Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 13 Runs and 20 Hits Propels Snappers to Series Win - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Offense Explodes Early to Topple Captains - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Waste Chances in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 5-0 Shutout over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Wymer Turns in Lugs' Latest Gem in 3-2 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Leahy Strikes Out Ten Again for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Comeback to Beat Cougars 2-1 Behind Morel's Heroics - South Bend Cubs
- Valera Vaults Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez Impresses in Relief, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Great Lakes Tops Cedar Rapids Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Toss 15th Shutout of Season to Even Series in Michigan - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Fall in 1-0 Pitcher's Duel on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Triumph 1-0 over Dragons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs' Small Ball Defeats Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Add 2nd Overall Pick From 2014 Draft - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Burlington (Game 88) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Great Lakes Loons
- Josh Cribbs, Beanie Wells & Julian Tavarez Headline Cleveland Sports History Night July 20 - Lake County Captains
- Nate Hadley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons On TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday On Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Hour Delay Cannot Contain Snappers' Bats - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Fall 9-8 in Back-And-Forth Battle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Enjoy 'Grand' Victory over Quad Cities - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.