T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (18-11-3-1) begin a streak of five consecutive road games on Tuesday night as they visit the Charlotte Checkers (17-13-2-0) for the first of two meetings between the clubs this week at Bojangles' Coliseum.
Springfield emerged victorious in the first regular-season matchup between the clubs on Oct. 31, taking a 5-3 decision over their division foes inside the MassMutual Center. The T-Birds erased a 3-1 second period deficit that afternoon, rattling off the game's final four goals en route to the win.
Charlotte has played some of its best hockey recently, having won seven of its last 10 games. They've scored 13 goals in their last two contests, in which they split a two-game set with the Texas Stars. Former Thunderbirds head coach and current Checkers head coach Geordie Kinnear has Charlotte to within three percentage points of the top-4 in the Atlantic Division.
The Thunderbirds will have the services of Nathan Walker this week, as the winger was reassigned to Springfield by the St. Louis Blues on Monday afternoon. Walker has posted 21 points in 22 AHL games this season for the Thunderbirds.
Puck drop for each of the games (Tuesday and Thursday) in Charlotte is set for 7:00 p.m. Fans can listen to every T-Birds road game on NewsRadio 560 WHYN or on AHLTV.
For more information on the Springfield Thunderbirds and to order tickets, please visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com. To learn more about becoming a Thunderbirds ticket member, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) to speak to a Thunderbirds representative.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2022
- Berggren's Four Assists Lift Griffins over Monsters, 5-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Angle Shines as a Bright Spot in Monsters 5-3 Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Lohin, Bowlby score as Checkers fall to Thunderbirds - Charlotte Checkers
- Gutsy, Determined 3rd Period Pushes T-Birds to Victory - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Insider: as Easy as 1-2-3 - Chicago Wolves
- IceHogs Weekly: IceHogs Welcome Stars for $2 Bud Light Friday and 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Pittsburgh Returns Three to WBS - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Condors Wrap Homestand Wednesday and Saturday with Youth Jersey Giveaway - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Eagles Recall Goaltender Jake Kupsky - Colorado Eagles
- Kraken Recall Joey Daccord, Assign Max McCormick to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Cates Returns, Willman Recalled - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rangers Assign Jonny Brodzinski and Tim Gettinger to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- AHL Reschedules Upcoming Belleville Sens Games vs Laval - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ads to Give Away Two Pairs of Packer Tickets on Wednesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- The Dollar Loan Center and City of Henderson to Host Job Fairs January 26 and February 12 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Groulx to Gulls as Manson, Two Coaches Join COVID List - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Charles Hudon from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Recall Owen Tippett and Aleksi Heponiemi - Charlotte Checkers
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Vol. 28, No. 14 - Syracuse Crunch
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Czuczman, Jones and Rau to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Keane Returns to Chicago; Leivo Goes to Carolina - Chicago Wolves
- Eagles Recall Three from ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Attempt to Stay Hot in January - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hardman, Slavin, Galvas and Morris Return to IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Weekly #15: It's Teddy Bear Toss Time - Hershey Bears
- Join the IceHogs for the 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night on Saturday, January 22 at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Tucson Roadrunners Road Ahead: Showdowns in SoCal - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds Get Game 1 Win, Toppling Checkers, 6-0
- Blues Recall G Charlie Lindgren Under Emergency Conditions
- Series Preview: Thunderbirds vs. Checkers
- Thunderbirds to Face Charlotte Checkers in Atlantic Division Finals
- T-Birds Sweep Penguins Behind Wild Comeback Win