T-Birds Conclude Busy Week vs. Sound Tigers & Rocket
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (12-10-0-0) will begin their final weekend in November with a third straight matchup with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (7-11-3-1) on Friday night at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport. Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m., and the Thunderbirds then return home on Saturday for the first of four regular season meetings with the Laval Rocket (11-8-3-0) at the MassMutual Center.
The Thunderbirds won their first two contests against the Sound Tigers this season by a combined 12-5 score, but have stumbled in the last three, scoring just three goals and being outscored 7-3. Bridgeport escaped the MassMutual Center with a 3-2 victory on Wednesday night, just their third win in their last 11 tries in Springfield. Henrik Borgstrom and Owen Tippett each scored for the Thunderbirds in the losing effort on Wednesday.
Tippett's 9th goal of his rookie season put him back into a tie among AHL rookies in that department, and Borgstrom's shorthanded goal, the T-Birds sixth of the season, brought Springfield into a tie for third in the league in shorthanded tallies. Springfield also leads the Eastern Conference in the category.
The Sound Tigers' three-game winning streak has gotten them back within six points of Springfield for the fourth playoff spot in the Atlantic Division. The Thunderbirds, meanwhile, have dropped six of their last ten contests, but will play seven of their next nine games on home ice, where they hold a 7-4-0-0 mark.
The Rocket come to Springfield on Saturday seeking a third consecutive overtime victory inside the Thunderdome. Laval captain Xavier Ouellet scored both overtime game winners in the span of two months last January and March. Entering Friday's action, the Rocket - who seek their first playoff berth in club history - sit in a tie for third place in the North Division.
At the conclusion of this weekend's two game set, the Thunderbirds will stay on home ice for the next two full weeks, with a five-gome homestand on the horizon against Lehigh Valley, Hartford, Laval, Binghamton, and Providence.
For more ticket information or to become a 2019-20 Springfield Thunderbirds ticket package member, or to purchase single game tickets, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Barracuda Return Home, Edged by Condors 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Rally Past San Jose, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Offense Roars in 5-2 Win over Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Hot Streak Cooled Friday by Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Leave Syracuse with a 4-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Point Streak Reaches Nine Games in OT Loss to Marlies - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Is Overtime Hero in Heated Rivalry - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Outhouse, Early Moose Advantage Enough to Hold off Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Can't Corral IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Erase Five-Goal Deficit, Lose in Overtime, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- St. Denis scores twice in Bridgeport's fourth straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Struggle Against Senators In 6-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Power to Victory in Binghamton - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Grounded by Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Can't Solve Sound Tigers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tyler Sikura Named Team Captain - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Host Fifth Annual Red Kettle Game Next Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Popular Hockey + Heels Event Set to Return on February 4 - Hershey Bears
- Fans Can "Get Fed" by the Chicago Wolves on Sunday - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Honorary Captain of the Game Program Returns for Second Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Heat Take Hot Streak to Weekend with Colorado - Stockton Heat
- $10 Black Friday Tickets for Tonight's Game - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Sign D Matt Mangene to AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 29, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Open 3-In-3 Weekend Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, November 29 - Belleville Senators
- World-Famous Teddy Bear Toss to be Held in Hershey, PA this Sunday - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Conclude Busy Week vs. Sound Tigers & Rocket - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Look for Fourth Straight Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Voluntary Suspension for 2020-2021 AHL Season
- Thunderbirds Donate over 1,000 Stuffed Animals
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season