Penguins Erase Five-Goal Deficit, Lose in Overtime, 6-5
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins nearly pulled off an unthinkable comeback win, but lost to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in overtime, 6-5, on Friday night at PPL Center.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (12-6-2-1) erased a five-goal deficit to force the extra session. Andrew Agozzino netted two goals and added an assist in the third period for the Penguins as they came back from down 5-0 to pull even, 5-5.
The Phantoms got the scoring started with three goals in under three minutes in the first period. Matthew Strome tipped in a power-play goal at 5:29 of the opening frame, and Pascal Laberge added an even-strength marker for the Phantoms 21 seconds later. Carsen Twarynski netted a goal on the rush at 8:08 of the first period, making it 3-0.
Twarynski struck again with Lehigh Valley's second power-play goal of the first period at 16:31.
Isaac Ratcliffe lit the lamp just 61 seconds into the middle frame, extending the Phantoms' lead to 5-0.
The Penguins cut into the deficit with a man-advantage marker of their own in the late stages of the second period. Jamie Devane set a screen in front of Jean-François Bérubé just as Thomas Di Pauli's wrist shot rocketed towards the net. Devane got a piece of the puck on its way into the net, giving him his first goal as a Penguin.
Much like Lehigh Valley did in the first period, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton pulled off an onslaught of scoring in the third, posting three goals in under three minutes. The flurry started with Andrew Agozzino swiping in a rebound at 9:22 of the final frame of regulation, and was swiftly followed by goals from Anthony Angello and an Agozzino breakaway at 11:06 and 12:09, respectively.
With the goalie pulled and an extra attacker on the ice, the Penguins equalized on a snipe by Adam Johnson from an impossible angle. Johnson let loose with a high-rising wrister from along the goal line that blazed to the top corner and past Bérubé with only two minutes left in regulation.
Overtime ended when T.J. Brennan scored on a delayed-penalty, extra-attacker situation, preserving the win for Lehigh Valley.
Emil Larmi recorded 20 saves in the post-regulation loss, whereas Bérubé was credited the win with 38 stops.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is back on home ice tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 30, against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Puck drop between the Penguins and Sound Tigers is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Barracuda Return Home, Edged by Condors 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Rally Past San Jose, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Offense Roars in 5-2 Win over Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Hot Streak Cooled Friday by Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Leave Syracuse with a 4-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Point Streak Reaches Nine Games in OT Loss to Marlies - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Is Overtime Hero in Heated Rivalry - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Outhouse, Early Moose Advantage Enough to Hold off Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Can't Corral IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Erase Five-Goal Deficit, Lose in Overtime, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- St. Denis scores twice in Bridgeport's fourth straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Struggle Against Senators In 6-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Power to Victory in Binghamton - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Grounded by Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Can't Solve Sound Tigers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tyler Sikura Named Team Captain - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Host Fifth Annual Red Kettle Game Next Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Popular Hockey + Heels Event Set to Return on February 4 - Hershey Bears
- Fans Can "Get Fed" by the Chicago Wolves on Sunday - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Honorary Captain of the Game Program Returns for Second Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Heat Take Hot Streak to Weekend with Colorado - Stockton Heat
- $10 Black Friday Tickets for Tonight's Game - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Sign D Matt Mangene to AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 29, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Open 3-In-3 Weekend Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, November 29 - Belleville Senators
- World-Famous Teddy Bear Toss to be Held in Hershey, PA this Sunday - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Conclude Busy Week vs. Sound Tigers & Rocket - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Look for Fourth Straight Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Recall Robert, Sign Three to Tryouts
- Kevin Porter Hired as Penguins Assistant Coach
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Among 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season
- Penguins Sign Forward Jordan Nolan
- Penguins Sign Forward Kyle Olson