Wolves Can't Corral IceHogs
ROCKFORD, Illinois - The Rockford IceHogs scored three goals in an eight-minute stretch of the second period to set up a 4-2 victory over the Chicago Wolves on Friday night in an Illinois Lottery Cup clash.
Forwards Ben Jones and Brandon Pirri scored goals for the Wolves (9-13-1-0) while forwards Jermaine Loewen and Valentin Zykov earned their first points in a Chicago uniform.
Rockford (10-8-0-1) broke on top at 15:25 of the first when forward John Quenneville skated into the slot and banged a shot off the inside of the post.
The IceHogs bumped their lead to 2-0 at 3:50 of the second on forward Alexandre Fortin's rebound goal. Defenseman Dennis Gilbert hustled down the right wing and fired a wrister at goaltender Oscar Dansk, who repelled the puck directly to Fortin coming down the left circle.
After each team took a minor penalty, Rockford took advantage of the 4-on-4 situation to make it 3-0 at 6:01 of the second. Lucas Carlsson's long pass off the boards set up Philipp Kurashev and Dylan Sikura for a 2-on-1 rush. Kurashev fed the puck ahead to Sikura, who did the rest.
The Wolves started their comeback at 9:27 of the second. Loewen collected the puck while crossing into the offensive zone. He flicked a pass off a Rockford skate and it bounced right to Jones, who fired from the right circle and beat goaltender Mark Tomkins on the blocker side.
After Rockford's Brandon Hagel scored on a breakaway to give the hosts a 4-1 lead, Pirri took advantage of a power play to slash the lead to two again. Zykov, making his Wolves debut after being loaned by the Vegas Golden Knights on Thursday, backhanded a pass across the slot to Pirri, who launched a one-timer from the left circle that went top-shelf at 15:42 of the second.
Dansk (4-6-0) stopped 22 of 26 shots while Tomkins (4-1-0) posted 31 saves.
The Wolves host the Manitoba Moose at 7 p.m. Saturday on Adopt-A-Dog Night, presented by Premier Veterinary Group. To take advantage of terrific Black Friday weekend specials, visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Barracuda Return Home, Edged by Condors 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Rally Past San Jose, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Offense Roars in 5-2 Win over Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Hot Streak Cooled Friday by Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Leave Syracuse with a 4-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Point Streak Reaches Nine Games in OT Loss to Marlies - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Is Overtime Hero in Heated Rivalry - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Outhouse, Early Moose Advantage Enough to Hold off Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Can't Corral IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Erase Five-Goal Deficit, Lose in Overtime, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- St. Denis scores twice in Bridgeport's fourth straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Struggle Against Senators In 6-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Power to Victory in Binghamton - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Grounded by Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Can't Solve Sound Tigers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tyler Sikura Named Team Captain - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Host Fifth Annual Red Kettle Game Next Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Popular Hockey + Heels Event Set to Return on February 4 - Hershey Bears
- Fans Can "Get Fed" by the Chicago Wolves on Sunday - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Honorary Captain of the Game Program Returns for Second Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Heat Take Hot Streak to Weekend with Colorado - Stockton Heat
- $10 Black Friday Tickets for Tonight's Game - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Sign D Matt Mangene to AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 29, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Open 3-In-3 Weekend Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, November 29 - Belleville Senators
- World-Famous Teddy Bear Toss to be Held in Hershey, PA this Sunday - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Conclude Busy Week vs. Sound Tigers & Rocket - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Look for Fourth Straight Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.