Devils Struggle Against Senators In 6-2 Loss
BINGHAMTON - Despite two-point games from Ben Street, Joey Anderson, and Brett Seney, the Binghamton Devils fell to the visiting Belleville Senators on Friday night, 6-2.
After no goals were scored by either team in the first period, Belleville grabbed a 2-0 lead early in the second to break the tie. Racing down the ice, Andrew Sturtz whipped the puck at Devils goaltender Cory Schneider. The puck slid right underneath Schneider's pads to put the Senators up 1-0. Jordan Murray picked up the sole assist on the play that came at 3:21 into the second stanza.
Two minutes later, the Senators followed up their first goal with a second to make it 2-0, Belleville. Drake Batherson connected with Josh Norris out in front whose diving shot beat Schneider. Batherson and Vitaly Abramov collected the assists on the play.
Binghamton answered on the power play as Street picked up his eighth goal of the season. Anderson slid a pass over to Street out in front who ripped the puck past Belleville netminder Filip Gustavsson from the right-wing circle. The goal came at 9:40 into the second stanza and the assists were credited to Anderson and Seney to get the Devils within one, 2-1.
Belleville strengthened its lead as they capitalized on a second chance with 3:48 remaining in the second. Following the deflection of Francois Beauchemin's shot out in front, Jonathan Davidsson took advantage of the rebound and sunk the puck into the back of the net for a 3-1 Senators lead. Drake Batherson logged the additional assist on the play. The Senators took the two-goal lead into the second intermission along with a 21-17 shot advantage.
The third period saw Batherson's third assist of the night as the Senators added one more to their lead. Murray chipped a shot straight past Schneider for the 4-1 Belleville lead 8:58 into the final frame. Abramov tallied his second assist on the night and picked up the second assist on the play.
Belleville banked an empty netter from the neutral zone and extended the Senators lead to five with 9:41 left in the third. Alex Formenton registered the for the goal with Rudolfs Balcers and Christian Jaros adding the assists.
Anderson got one back for Binghamton with 3:30 remaining in the third period for his fifth of the year. Seney and Street were credited with the helpers and all three players had a two-point night. The goal pulled the Devils back within three, 5-2.
Abramov scored on a penalty shot with 2:17 left in the third to secure a 6-2 win for the Senators. Schneider stopped 25 of 30 in the loss while Gustavsson denied 30 of 32 in the win.
The Devils are back home tomorrow on Hockey Fights Cancer Night. All who are battling or who have battled cancer can get a FREE ticket to the game. In addition, a Survivors Lap during intermission and get a discount ticket with $2 going to American Cancer Society. Also, live music from 6-7 p.m. on the concourse with $5 24-ounce draft beer and $6 oil cans between section 19 and 20. Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils battle the Belleville Senators
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Barracuda Return Home, Edged by Condors 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Rally Past San Jose, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Offense Roars in 5-2 Win over Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Hot Streak Cooled Friday by Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Leave Syracuse with a 4-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Point Streak Reaches Nine Games in OT Loss to Marlies - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Is Overtime Hero in Heated Rivalry - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Outhouse, Early Moose Advantage Enough to Hold off Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Can't Corral IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Erase Five-Goal Deficit, Lose in Overtime, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- St. Denis scores twice in Bridgeport's fourth straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Struggle Against Senators In 6-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Power to Victory in Binghamton - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Grounded by Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Can't Solve Sound Tigers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tyler Sikura Named Team Captain - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Host Fifth Annual Red Kettle Game Next Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Popular Hockey + Heels Event Set to Return on February 4 - Hershey Bears
- Fans Can "Get Fed" by the Chicago Wolves on Sunday - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Honorary Captain of the Game Program Returns for Second Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Heat Take Hot Streak to Weekend with Colorado - Stockton Heat
- $10 Black Friday Tickets for Tonight's Game - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Sign D Matt Mangene to AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 29, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Open 3-In-3 Weekend Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, November 29 - Belleville Senators
- World-Famous Teddy Bear Toss to be Held in Hershey, PA this Sunday - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Conclude Busy Week vs. Sound Tigers & Rocket - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Look for Fourth Straight Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.