Tyler Sikura Named Team Captain
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Rockford IceHogs head coach Derek King today announced that forward Tyler Sikura has been named the team's captain for the remainder of the 2019-20 season. Sikura receives the "C" following Kris Versteeg's departure from the organization on Nov. 17.
"I'm very proud and happy for Tyler, as this is an honor he has definitely earned from his three years in Rockford," said Chicago Blackhawks Vice President, Hockey Operations/Team Affiliates and IceHogs General Manager, Mark Bernard. "Tyler has displayed wonderful character both on and off the ice and conducts himself in a manner in which our young prospects can learn from each day."
Sikura, 27, is in his sixth professional season and third consecutive campaign with the IceHogs. The veteran forward has served as an alternate captain for two of his three seasons in Rockford, was named the team's Most Valuable Player in 2017-18 and voted the Hogs' Unsung Hero in 2018-19. Entering Friday, he leads the team in goals this season and shares the team lead in overall scoring with his 12 points (8g, 4a) in 18 games.
Overall, the Aurora, Ontario native has combined for 70 points (38g, 32a) and a +26 rating in 142 games with the IceHogs from 2017-19.
Sikura is the 12th team captain during the IceHogs' AHL affiliation. He joins Jim Fahey (2007-08), Tim Brent (2008-09), Jake Dowell (2009-10, 2015-17), Garnet Exelby (2010-11), Brandon Segal (2011-12), Brian Fahey (2011-12), Martin St. Pierre (2012-13), Jared Nightingale (2013-14), Joakim Nordstrom (2014-15) Brandon Mashinter (2015-16) and Versteeg (2019).
Next Home Game: Friday, Nov. 29 vs. Chicago Wolves | 7 p.m.
The Rockford IceHogs return home to the BMO Harris Bank Center to take on the Chicago Wolves on Hockey Fights Cancer night. The Hogs will don specialty jerseys for the event and fans can sponsor a player to play for a loved one battling cancer for "Stick it to Cancer." Visit IceHogs.com for additional information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Barracuda Return Home, Edged by Condors 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Rally Past San Jose, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Offense Roars in 5-2 Win over Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Hot Streak Cooled Friday by Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Leave Syracuse with a 4-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Point Streak Reaches Nine Games in OT Loss to Marlies - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Is Overtime Hero in Heated Rivalry - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Outhouse, Early Moose Advantage Enough to Hold off Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Can't Corral IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Erase Five-Goal Deficit, Lose in Overtime, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- St. Denis scores twice in Bridgeport's fourth straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Struggle Against Senators In 6-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Power to Victory in Binghamton - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Grounded by Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Can't Solve Sound Tigers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tyler Sikura Named Team Captain - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Host Fifth Annual Red Kettle Game Next Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Popular Hockey + Heels Event Set to Return on February 4 - Hershey Bears
- Fans Can "Get Fed" by the Chicago Wolves on Sunday - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Honorary Captain of the Game Program Returns for Second Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Heat Take Hot Streak to Weekend with Colorado - Stockton Heat
- $10 Black Friday Tickets for Tonight's Game - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Sign D Matt Mangene to AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 29, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Open 3-In-3 Weekend Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, November 29 - Belleville Senators
- World-Famous Teddy Bear Toss to be Held in Hershey, PA this Sunday - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Conclude Busy Week vs. Sound Tigers & Rocket - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Look for Fourth Straight Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Gov. Pritzker Joins Blackhawks and Rockford Officials to Announce $23 Million BMO Harris Bank Center Capital Renovation
- IceHogs Unveil Premiere Auction, Raffle, and Sale for Autism Awareness Month Supporting the Autism Program of Easterseals
- Hogs Weekly: IceHogs Close Four-Game Mini Series vs. Chicago Wednesday; Visit Griffins on Saturday
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Wolves Rumble in Hoffman Estates Tonight
- IceHogs Celebrate Autism Awareness Month All April Supporting the Autism Program of Easterseals